French President Francois Hollande, left, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, center, and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, right, talk together while German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, background left, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov background right, talk together behind them during a break of a meeting at the Elysee Palace in Paris, Wednesday, March 5, 2014. Top diplomats from the West and Russia trying to find an end to the crisis in Ukraine are gathering in Paris on Wednesday as tensions simmered over the Russian military takeover of the strategic Crimean Peninsula. (AP Photo/Alain Jocard, Pool)
- Local News
Keenan to resign to take Salem State job
SALEM — State Rep. John Keenan said Tuesday he will resign from office Aug. 24 to take a new job as vice president of administration at Salem State University.
His announcement ended months of speculation about where the five-term Democrat would end up after leaving the Legislature. As it turns out, he is leaving four months before his term would have expired.
Legislature approves naming Salem Probate Court after Judge Thaddeus Buczko
BOSTON — The Senate on Tuesday unanimously passed a bill to designate the Essex Probate and Family Court, located in Salem, in honor of Judge Thaddeus Buczko.
Chism attorney wants 'youthful offender' indictments dismissed
Philip Chism's attorney will argue that the state's "youthful offender" law, which requires that the Danvers teen be tried as an adult in last fall's rape and murder of his teacher, is unconstitutional.
In documents filed Monday, defense attorney Denise Regan contends that the statute, enacted in 1996, creates two classes of children within the court system, distinguishing them based solely on the charge.
Whale watching boat snagged by lobster trap rope
BOSTON (AP) — They weren't castaways, but like the tourists on Gilligan's Island, a group of whale watchers expecting only a three-hour tour got much more after their boat was snagged by a lobster trap rope off Massachusetts and they were forced to spend a long night at sea.
Market Basket store managers vow to resign
Store managers and assistant managers at Market Baskets in the area signed petitions Monday declaring they would work only for Arthur T. Demoulas, no matter who buys the grocery chain. "It was a voluntary petition," Salem store manager Dave Webber sa
- Former law student gets jail term for stealing jewels
- Ipswich approaches gift of art cautiously, with good reason
- Coal dock rehab beginning this week
- Flood insurance changes could leave coastal properties vulnerable
- Heard around towns: Hate on the rocks
- North Shore Community Calendar
- Brief flooding in Peabody after heavy rain
- Rowley Market Basket donates bread to food pantries
- Special Spaces transforms two downstairs rooms into playroom for Riley Fessenden
- Beverly Hospital courier loses patients’ lab forms
- Big plans for three parks in the Point neighborhood
- Peabody could see school choice profit next year
- Dennis and Susan Knight take over Salem Salvation Army operation
- Beverly High School band to debut new uniforms at home
- North Shore Community Calendar
- Jared Lafond injured in Saturday accident on Goodale Street
- With Market Basket boycott, shoppers look for food elsewhere
- Police: Driver checks car damage after knocking person off scooter
- Matthew Sobecky arrested after attempt on state trooper’s home
- 'Ghost' boat prompts harbor search
- Analysts: Time not on Market Basket workers’ side
- Arthur v. Arthur
- Police: Excessive speed may have been factor in Route 1 crash in Peabody
- Keenan to resign to take Salem State job