, Salem, MA

Special Report

September 7, 2011

Readers' memories: Sept. 11, 2001


Vinny Egizi


I was on the 8 a.m. shuttle from Boston to LaGuardia on 9/11. The pilot had no idea what had happened as he told us to look out the cabin windows to see the first tower burning from the first plane strike.

We landed and I took a taxi to make my 10 a.m. meeting in the city. There was no announcement that the bridges and tunnels had all been shut down. As we drove toward the city, the World Trade Center, with one tower burning, was in front of us on the horizon. We saw the second plane hit the second tower.

My day became a long day with unbelievable acts of kindness by strangers and of contemplation of how I was living my life. My taxi driver, watching me try unsuccessfully to call home on my cellphone, offered to drive me to his apartment so I could use his phone. After trying several routes with lines of cars not moving, he said he could not get me to the city and drove me to a train station. No trains came. After an hour, I walked out and hailed a taxi to return to the airport.

At the airport, when I learned that it and all tunnels and bridges were closed, I decided I needed a ferry to get off the island. I went to a car rental station. People with reservations would not be coming, so car rental companies were renting everything they had, but they turned down some people who had been on my flight for being too young. I dropped them off on Long Island.

A line of cars five miles long was waiting to get on the ferry. I decided I would have a better chance of walking on and found the closest rental office, to turn in the car. The manager said the ferries were taking emergency equipment into the city and if I did get on one, I would end up sitting on the curb until morning, trying to get a ride. He started calling Orient, at the end of Long island, and after a dozen tries made me a reservation on a ferry there.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Special Report

Local News
  • City gets four bids for McKay School BEVERLY -- In the latest round of bids for the McKay School property, the city will consider four new proposals it received last week. The most recent proposals mark the fourth time the city has reviewed bids on the property and the second effort for

    August 20, 2014

  • Police to put down their pens, write electronic tickets BOSTON -- State troopers will soon toss handwritten tickets in favor of electronic citations to save money and time, and local police across the state could eventually follow suit. State police using the system will swipe or scan a driver's license t

    August 20, 2014

  • 140819_SN_DLE_VAPOR2 No 'butts' about it: Vapor stores pop up despite e-cig concerns Michael Greene sells e-cigarettes because they saved his life. And if they were available in the United States 17 years ago, they might have also spared his father, who smoked four packs of cigarettes a day for 40 years. "If you put too many regulati

    August 20, 2014 3 Photos

  • 140819_SN_DLE_MURPHY4 109 days, 2 new lungs later, Essex Deputy Sheriff Murphy comes home

    Dozens of friends and family members lined up on Balcomb Street Tuesday evening to greet Newton Murphy as he arrived home from his double lung transplant. Murphy, the Essex County deputy sheriff, had been in the hospital for 109 days after his surge

    August 20, 2014 8 Photos

  • Sex offender Matthew Delima, who fled with teen, gets 2-10 years

    SALEM -- A judge Tuesday returned a homeless Level 3 sex offender to state prison for two to 10 years, but he said that after reading police reports and other records in the case, he would have imposed even more time. The reason Judge Timothy Feeley

    August 20, 2014 3 Stories