SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Lifestyle

November 14, 2008

Piriformis Syndrome won't go away without therapy

Are you having trouble figuring out how the intense pain that runs down the back of your leg began? Perhaps it was a long day working in the yard or the extra mile you added to your walk. It could also be that you sat too long in the theater or watching the ball game. If you have pain in the buttock that travels to the knee or ankle, you might have Piriformis Syndrome.

PS can be excruciatingly painful. Pain typically begins in the back of the hip around the mid-buttock and travels down the back of the leg into the knee. In severe cases it will reach the ankle. One of the most common complaints is that you are unable to bear weight on the affected limb because "you don't trust it."

Classically, PS worsens as the day passes. Morning stiffness and discomfort transform into a throbbing, toothache-like pain by late afternoon. Unfortunately, most patients are unable to find a position of comfort and must deal with their symptoms until falling asleep for the night - only to look forward to the cycle beginning again in the morning.

As the biggest nerve in the body, the sciatic nerve is responsible for the sensation in the back of your leg from your hip to your ankle. Imagine what it would feel like if you put that nerve in a vice and tightened it down. The piriformis is a thick, tough muscle with two distinct heads that are in close contact with the sciatic nerve. In 25 percent of the population, the sciatic nerve passes between the two parts of the muscle and is in serious jeopardy of being pinched if the muscle gets tight. In the other 75 percent, the nerve passes underneath the two heads exposing it to forceful compression against the ball of the hip joint.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Lifestyle
  • misselwood_2 Rare, classic cars make an appearance at annual Endicott College show

    The original Concours d'Elegance was a fashion show on wheels. "It did start in 17th century France, where some of the aristocracy wanted to show off the fashions they were wearing," said Patrick Cornellison, chairman of the event. "Mainly women woul

    July 24, 2014 2 Photos

  • twenties_3 Ipswich's Castle Hill braces for 1,000 at Roaring '20s Lawn Party

    The latest dance craze started in the 1930s. The Lindy Hop, which first flourished in the ballrooms of Harlem, is expected to draw hundreds of people to a dance floor at the Crane Estate this Sunday. Organized by Boston Swing Central, a dance club in

    July 24, 2014 4 Photos

  • kallyson North Shore entertainment calendar Good cause YARD SALE TO BENEFIT JIMMY FUND. Saturday, July 26, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., 11 Anna Drive, Danvers. Family yard sale with all proceeds benefiting the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk. WOOSHIE'S WARRIORS FUNDRAISER FOR MS. Sunday, July 27, 10 a.

    July 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • The reader's eye Name: Erika Torkildsen Hometown: Beverly Description: "I took this at the Salem Common around a park where I noticed a ripped basketball net amid the blue sky. Instead of taking the picture from my original view, I tipped the camera up from under the

    July 24, 2014

  • shakespeare Good cause The Bard comes alive on Misery Island Join Sea Station for its inaugural performance of "The Tempest Trials," a Shakespearean festival on Salem's Misery Island, on Saturday from noon to 4:15 p.m. The festival features actors of all ages participating

    July 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • Horoscope Leo (July 23-Aug. 22) -- Your goals and current lifestyle need a little adjustment. Be receptive to new ideas, and make a change if you want to feel better about the direction you are heading in. Virgo (Aug. 23-Sept. 22) -- Your leadership qualities

    July 24, 2014

  • Dear Abby: Girl and cousin both need counseling after assault Dear Abby: My granddaughter "Cindy," age 2, was being watched by her mommy's ex-sister-in-law and her sons. Cindy went to her mommy and said, "Bubby hurt me." Bubby is what she calls her 10-year-old cousin. Her mother called the police. A policeman s

    July 23, 2014

  • Wednesday's Best Bets Best Bets for Wednesday, July 23

    Looking for something to do today? Here are The Salem News' Best Bets:

    July 23, 2014 1 Photo

  • Dear Abby: Younger couples weigh in on how they handle money Dear Readers: On April 11, I printed a letter from "Wondering in Washington," a man asking why young men in general today have the attitude that "any money I earn is mine" in a marriage or live-in situation. He said when he married, he and his wife c

    July 22, 2014

  • Dear Abby: Dating scene is frustrating for strong young woman Dear Abby: I am a young woman hoping to find "The One." But I have come to realize that I'm not the normal female. I don't get manicures or go shopping. (I hate shopping!) When I meet a guy, he likes that I'm "me," but if we get serious, then I'm eit

    July 21, 2014

NDN Video
Comments Tracker