Looking for something to do this weekend? Check out The Salem News' Best Bets:
Saturday, Dec. 7
Salem: Winter Waterfowl Training, 8:30 to 10 a.m., Winter Island Park. Salem Sound is the winter home of many waterfowl from the far north. Learn to spot the birds at the annual Winter Waterfowl Identification Training. At the session, observe the waterfowl (mostly from the Arctic) that spend the winter in Salem Sound. Experienced birders will set up spotting scopes, answer questions and talk about the birds. No birding experience needed. firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-741-7900.
Take your pick from several holiday fairs happening today:
- Christmas Fair, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Family Life Center, First Congregational Church, 4 Georgetown Road, Boxford.
- Holiday Boutique, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Winthrop School, 325 Bay Road., Hamilton.
- Christmas Fair, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Trinity Episcopal Church, 124 River Road, Topsfield.
- Winter Wonderland Holiday Fair, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., First Parish Church (yellow church), 225 Cabot St., Beverly.
- Red Bow Holiday Fair, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Unitarian Universalist Church, 28 Mugford St., Marblehead.
- Christmas Boutique & Yuletide Marketplace, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Second Congregational Church, 173 Washington St., Boxford.
- Gift of Christmas annual fair, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church Parish Center, 80 Atlantic Ave., Marblehead.
- Arrangers of Marblehead Annual Greens Sale, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Marblehead Council on Aging, 10 Humphrey St.; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Masonic Temple, 62 Pleasant St., Marblehead.
- Holiday Boutique, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Ipswich Museum, 54 S. Main St., Ipswich.
- Home Craft Fair, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., 167 Haverhill Road, Route 97, Topsfield.
- Holiday Artisan Marketplace, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Abbot Hall, 188 Washington St., Marblehead.
- Christmas Marketplace Fair, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Grace Church, Parish House, 385 Essex St., Salem.
And what can better get you in the Christmas spirit than a film about the Grinch? Flint Public Library in Middleton presents a screening of the cartoon version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" at 4 p.m. at the library, 1 S. Main St., Middleton. Afterward, take part in the Jingle Bell Parade to the Winter Festival. For more information, call 978-774-8132 or visit the library's website.