The Honky Tonk Women of Gloucester will take the spotlight on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the sanctuary at Maple Street Congregational Church, 90 Maple St., Danvers. In one of only a few appearances outside of Cape Ann, the four-women group will perform a variety of songs featuring ’60s and doo-wop music. The concert is hosted by the church’s Maple Eves Women’s Group, and everyone is welcome to attend. Admission is a $5 donation that will be accepted at the door. Seats may be reserved in advance before Tuesday by calling the church office at 978-774-4510. Need a place to park? A lot behind the church and a town-owned lot diagonally across the street will be open. For more information, visit maplestreetchurch.org.
- Dear Abby: Dating scene is frustrating for strong young woman Dear Abby: I am a young woman hoping to find "The One." But I have come to realize that I'm not the normal female. I don't get manicures or go shopping. (I hate shopping!) When I meet a guy, he likes that I'm "me," but if we get serious, then I'm eit
Best Bets for Monday, July 21
Looking for something to do today? Here are The Salem News' Best Bets:
Best Bets for Saturday, July 19 and Sunday, July 20
Looking for something to do this weekend? Check out The Salem News' Best Bets.
- North Shore religion news in brief The Rev. Wesley Williams will be the featured guest for the 9:30 a.m. worship service on Sunday, July 27, at Holy Trinity United Methodist Church, 16 Sylvan St., Danvers. Williams will use the sermon time to lead in the singing of spirituals and give
- North Shore religion calendar Saturday, July 19 Church Yard Sale, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Our Lady of Fatima Church, 50 Walsh Ave., Peabody. Church-sponsored yard sale features home furnishings, clothing, children's items, furniture and more. Portuguese food will also be available. All
- North Shore Gardener: Can 10-year-old plant food be used? Q: As I am getting older, my gardening is less and less, but I do have three potted cherry tomato plants on my deck. I wonder if some Vigoro Water Soluble Tomato and Vegetable Plant Food that I have had in my garage for about 10 years would be safe a
- Dr. Kate's Parent Rap: 6 strategies to help your child build self-advocacy skills As tweens enter middle school, they are expected to manage increased responsibility and independence. Included in this set of expectations is their ability to self-advocate for their needs. Self-advocacy refers to an individual's ability to effective
- Book Notes: Author discusses World War I at Wenham Museum All the veterans Richard Rubin interviewed for "The Last of the Doughboys," which was published in 2013, are dead now. Given that his subjects ranged in age from 101 to 113, and he started looking for them in 2003, that is hardly surprising. What re
- Quick pick 'East End Open Studio' An art show featuring the work of 15 artists who all live and work in the East End District of Ipswich is on view this weekend at the Ipswich Moving Company Studio at 2 Cogswell St. in Ipswich. The show is called "East End Open
- Dear Abby: Son decides life on the open road isn’t for him after all Dear Abby: For years, my wife and I were RV enthusiasts. We have a son who was envious about our lifestyle and expressed a desire to own an RV and travel the highways. When we decided to give up the practice, we gave our travel trailer to him as a gi
- More Lifestyle Headlines