If you run into any problems over the holidays or have questions about something your pet has ingested, do not hesitate to call your veterinarian as soon as you witness it. Your veterinarian can determine if it is poisonous or dangerous and has a number of methods for helping animals that have ingested inappropriate items. If the item is determined to be dangerous, the method used to neutralize or remove the item will be decided based on what your pet ingested to save your pet with the least amount of discomfort and invasiveness for your pet.
Dr. Elizabeth Bradt is a 1986 graduate of Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and is the owner of All Creatures Veterinary Hospital in Salem (www.creaturehealth.com). She is a member of the American Society of Veterinary Journalists. Email your pet questions to email@example.com. Please title your email “Vet Connection.”