The Beverly Education Foundation is hosting a carnival today and tomorrow from 6 to 10 p.m., and on Saturday from 1 to 10 p.m., and Sunday from noon to 6 p.m., at Beverly High School. Festivities include rides, games, food and midway provided by Cushing Amusements. Unlimited ride bracelets cost $20 and are valid from 6 to 10 tonight; 1 to 6 p.m. on Saturday; and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday. All proceeds benefit the foundation’s campaign for the Beverly High School 1 to 1 Learning Initiative, which works to provide every student with a laptop computer to use in the school’s wireless classrooms. For more information, visit www.beverlyedfoundation.org. BHS is located at 100 Sohier Road in Beverly.
- Vet Connection: Pets gone wild According to a recent marketing survey, about 17 percent of all dogs exhibit signs consistent with a condition known as separation anxiety. Video footage of pets left alone can show excessive pacing, extreme vocalization and, in some cases, a rampage
- Dog Lady: Looking to dogma for good pet-owner karma Dear Dog Lady: Recently, I took my dog to a "dogma," a yoga class for people and their dogs. The class was developed by a local yoga studio and geared to people and their dogs to hang out together. I am always looking for something fun to do with my
- Book notes: "Songs without words" by Gerald Shea Imagine trying to read this sentence if the consonants had been deleted. That's what Gerald Shea, who didn't discover he was partly deaf until his early 30s, has dealt with most of his life. "I have great trouble with consonants; I hear vowels well,"
- Quick pick: Train for the Hunger Games Calling all tributes! The Swampscott Public Library Teen Area invites teens in grades five and up to train for the 74th annual Hunger Games on Wednesday at 1 p.m. Participants will learn to create lifesaving shelter anywhere; discover how to locate a
- Dear Abby: 26-year-old still resents parents who skipped graduation Dear Abby: When I was a child, my parents skipped my elementary school graduation. For that matter, everyone did. My grandfather had just died, so Mom was mourning his loss. Fast-forward a few years -- nobody attended my junior high graduation, eithe
Best Bets for Thursday, July 10
Looking for something to do this afternoon? Check out our Best Bets.
Adrienne Eller lands dream role in Music Theatre production of 'The Little Mermaid'
Adrienne Eller said hello to the Little Mermaid, long before she got to play her in the musical. "Whenever I went to Disneyland, I waited in line to meet Ariel," she said. "We owned the VHS. I don't think I saw it in the theater, but it was one of my
Seafood Festival at Salem Willows features lobster plunge, kids activities, lots of food
Tartar sauce or lemon? Whichever you prefer, there will be plenty of dishes to try them on at this weekend's first-ever Salem Seafood Festival. Twenty vendors will be visiting Salem Willows from Friday to Sunday to serve chowder, lobsters and fish,
- North Shore Entertainment Calendar Good cause PADDLE FOR PLUMMER. Sunday, July 13, 10 a.m., Plummer Home, 37 Winter Island Road, Salem. Stand-up Paddle Board Races (elite, recreational and youth mini race) to benefit the Plummer Home, which helps at-risk youth and teens. Type II PFDs
- Reader's Eye: Douglas Bowker Name: Douglas Bowker Hometown: Salem Description: "About a week ago, the weather made a sudden turn from rainy to clearing, and we had a brief but spectacular sunset. As I headed over to Collins Cove to snap a few pictures, what struck me first was t
- More Lifestyle Headlines