The Peabody Institute Library is offering a calligraphy class on Monday at 6:30 p.m. for participants to learn about the design and execution of this visual art related to writing. Using bamboo pens and walnut ink, participants will practice the strokes needed to create or scribe the letters used in the alphabet. After perfecting one word or a small phrase, the attendee’s design will be transferred to a small canvas or paper and organized around a geometric shape. Color can also be added to create a personalized, take-home project. The class will be held at the Main Library, 82 Main St., Peabody. For more information and to register, call 978-531-0100, ext. 10, or visit www.peabodylibrary.org.
Best Bets for Tuesday, July 29
Looking for something to do today? Here are The Salem News' Best Bets:
- Dear Abby: Dating scene is frustrating for strong young woman Dear Abby: In short, my son is a klutz -- to the point that it affects his self-confidence. He's different from everyone else in the family. Is being a klutz genetic? Is it permanent? He's not doing well academically, either. How can I help him? Par
Best Bets for Monday, July 28
Looking for something to do today? Check out The Salem News' Best Bets.
- Dear Abby: Son-in-law’s abusive father makes gatherings painful Dear Abby: I adore my son-in-law, "Tom." He's a wonderful husband to our daughter. He's always inviting us to dinner along with his parents and family. We get along with them but can't stand how they treat Tom. We have never seen parents treat their
Best Bets for Saturday, July 26
Looking for something to do today? Check out The Salem News' Best Bets:
- North Shore religion news in brief Congregation Shirat Hayam is offering a free, five-week Hebrew Reading Crash Course on Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. from Sept. 2 through Oct. 7, at the synagogue, 55 Atlantic Ave., Swampscott. Led by Nancy Miller, the course is open to the community and is
- North Shore religion calendar Wednesday, July 30 Book Club, 7 p.m., Aviv Centers for Living, 240 Lynnfield St., Peabody. Women of all ages are invited to a free book group with conversations about Jewish identity. Group will discuss "The Harem Midwife" by Roberta Rich. RSVP to Sh
- Dear Abby: Teen is looking for direction after high school graduation Dear Abby: I am an 18-year-old high school senior who is scared about what's going to happen after graduation. For the past three years I have known exactly where I'll be and what I will be doing in the general sense. Now that I have one more year to
- Vet Connection: Pet birds need training, social interaction and time out of the cage People are fascinated with the big colorful birds on display at Animal Kingdom and wild bird sanctuaries. It's always fascinating to see someone walking down the street with a big-beaked bird on his or her shoulder as a companion. We are all drawn to
- Ask Dog Lady: Her little dog is obsessed with food Dear Dog Lady: I have a 3-year-old, long-coated Chihuahua named Mexipep (after a brand of hot sauce). She has many fine attributes -- she's very sweet, not nervous and barky like the short-coated Chihuahuas can be. On the subject of food, however, th
- More Lifestyle Headlines
- Best Bets for Tuesday, July 29