With help from faculty, alumni and special guest Patricia Zaido, Robert Harling’s iconic play, “Steel Magnolias,” will be brought to life in a staged reading tonight at 7:30 in Salem State University’s Callan Studio Theatre, 352 Lafayette St., Salem. “Steel Magnolias” is a story of the bond of a group of Southern women who see one another through life’s joys and sorrows with gossip, laughter and tears. The reading will also take place tomorrow at 7 p.m. Admission is a suggested donation of $25, with all proceeds supporting academic programming in the creative and performing arts at SSU. Space is limited, and reservations are encouraged. For more information or to reserve a spot, call 978-542-6290.
- Dear Abby: Younger couples weigh in on how they handle money Dear Readers: On April 11, I printed a letter from "Wondering in Washington," a man asking why young men in general today have the attitude that "any money I earn is mine" in a marriage or live-in situation. He said when he married, he and his wife c
- Dear Abby: Dating scene is frustrating for strong young woman Dear Abby: I am a young woman hoping to find "The One." But I have come to realize that I'm not the normal female. I don't get manicures or go shopping. (I hate shopping!) When I meet a guy, he likes that I'm "me," but if we get serious, then I'm eit
Best Bets for Monday, July 21
Looking for something to do today? Here are The Salem News' Best Bets:
Best Bets for Saturday, July 19 and Sunday, July 20
Looking for something to do this weekend? Check out The Salem News' Best Bets.
- North Shore religion news in brief The Rev. Wesley Williams will be the featured guest for the 9:30 a.m. worship service on Sunday, July 27, at Holy Trinity United Methodist Church, 16 Sylvan St., Danvers. Williams will use the sermon time to lead in the singing of spirituals and give
- North Shore religion calendar Saturday, July 19 Church Yard Sale, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Our Lady of Fatima Church, 50 Walsh Ave., Peabody. Church-sponsored yard sale features home furnishings, clothing, children's items, furniture and more. Portuguese food will also be available. All
- North Shore Gardener: Can 10-year-old plant food be used? Q: As I am getting older, my gardening is less and less, but I do have three potted cherry tomato plants on my deck. I wonder if some Vigoro Water Soluble Tomato and Vegetable Plant Food that I have had in my garage for about 10 years would be safe a
- Dr. Kate's Parent Rap: 6 strategies to help your child build self-advocacy skills As tweens enter middle school, they are expected to manage increased responsibility and independence. Included in this set of expectations is their ability to self-advocate for their needs. Self-advocacy refers to an individual's ability to effective
- Book Notes: Author discusses World War I at Wenham Museum All the veterans Richard Rubin interviewed for "The Last of the Doughboys," which was published in 2013, are dead now. Given that his subjects ranged in age from 101 to 113, and he started looking for them in 2003, that is hardly surprising. What re
- Quick pick 'East End Open Studio' An art show featuring the work of 15 artists who all live and work in the East End District of Ipswich is on view this weekend at the Ipswich Moving Company Studio at 2 Cogswell St. in Ipswich. The show is called "East End Open
- More Lifestyle Headlines