(AP) LAS VEGAS — For decades, Jerry Lewis has played the key role in the Muscular Dystrophy Association's annual telethon, helping to raise more than $1 billion. Now the two sides are parting ways, but no one is explaining why.
The 85-year-old comedian told reporters last week that he plans to hold a press conference the day after this year's telethon to talk about what he thinks is important. When pressed by a reporter about his role with the telethon, Lewis said: "It's none of your business."
The Tucson, Ariz.-based association announced last week that after 45 years, the comedian was no longer its national chairman and he would not appear on the telethon this year.
Association spokesman Jim Brown declined to say what prompted the decision. And Lewis publicist Candi Cazau of Las Vegas also declined to comment, telling The Associated Press last week the comedian was traveling outside his home state of Nevada.
In May, Lewis said in a statement issued through the association that he would make his final appearance on the telethon this year and sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" during a six-hour primetime broadcast scheduled for Sept. 4.
But during a session with reporters last week at a Television Critics Association press tour to promote an upcoming TV documentary, "Method to the Madness of Jerry Lewis," Lewis hinted that his involvement in raising money for muscular dystrophy research wasn't finished.
"Who told you that?" Lewis asked a reporter who asked him how he felt about this year being his last telethon. "I never read it."
"Do you remember when the New York Times printed, 'Dewey wins'? I rest my case, pal," Lewis said. "Anything you read, read it twice."
In 1948, the Chicago Tribune famously printed the headline "Dewey defeats Truman" the day after Harry Truman beat Thomas Dewey in the presidential election.
When asked what he'd have to do to be satisfied with his life, Lewis said: "Get the cure for muscular dystrophy, then I'm fine."
Lewis later said he would hold a press conference Sept. 5 to clarify his plans.
"I will have plenty to say about what I think is important. And that's the future, not the past," he said.
Sarah's last hurrah on 'All My Children"
Sarah Michelle Gellar is headed for a new series on the CW network, but she says she'll find time to return to "All My Children."
Gellar confirmed last week that she'll make a farewell appearance on the canceled soap, where she played Kendall Hart from 1993 to 1995, and won a daytime Emmy award. "Children" will disappear from ABC on Sept. 23, ending a four-decade run.
"I just wanted to be part of it," Gellar told reporters gathered for the Television Critics Association's press tour. She said she has no idea what part she will play in her one-day guest shot.
The former "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" star was on hand to discuss her new series, "Ringer," where she plays a woman in trouble who impersonates her twin sister. "Ringers" premieres Sept. 13 on the CW.
Big trouble for Big Sean?
Rapper Big Sean faces charges in upstate New York after a woman complained she was sexually assaulted during a concert.
State park police charged the 23-year-old Detroit rapper with misdemeanor counts of forcible touching, unlawful imprisonment and sex abuse. Another Detroit man, Willie Hansbro, faces the same charges.
Police received the complaint Thursday at Artpark State Park in Lewiston, downriver from Niagara Falls. Anderson was performing there with rapper Wiz Khalifa. Authorities won't elaborate on the complaint.
Big Sean and Hansbro were given Sept. 6 court dates for Niagara County Court and released on $500 bail.
Big Sean's real name is Sean Anderson. Scott Leemon, a lawyer for both men, said they "vehemently deny" the charges. He said he's confident they will be cleared after further investigation.
Arnold testing the spotlight
Arnold Schwarzenegger is making a comeback.
The former California governor last week made his first speech in the state since confirming in May that he fathered an out-of-wedlock son, the latest sign he's gradually maneuvering back into the public eye.
Once among the most public of men, Schwarzenegger has appeared in public only sporadically in recent months.
In the days after he split with wife Maria Shriver, he told his talent agency to postpone his movie projects. His Twitter account — once busy with posts and photos from afar — fell out of use. He hired a divorce lawyer, and the former Hollywood star known to crave the spotlight went into a self-imposed exile to sort out his family problems.
That's been slowly changing.
He started tweeting again in late June when he traveled to his native Austria for an environmental conference, far from his troubles in the U.S. Last month, he announced he will return to acting with a starring role in the Lionsgate film "Last Stand." Schwarzenegger will play a border-town sheriff who unwittingly finds himself battling a notorious drug kingpin on the run.
He never mentioned his marital problems in his appearance before a business group at a downtown hotel, or his admission of fathering his now-teenage son with the former maid, Mildred Baena. The crowd gave him a standing ovation, and applauded him warmly after he recounted how he teamed with business leaders to reform the state's workers' compensation laws.
Somes people just don't like your face
Billy Gardell's bank account hasn't caught up with his brain yet.
Despite starring in CBS's "Mike & Molly," the most-watched new comedy series of the past season, he won't give up doing standup in small clubs around the country during his summer break from the show.
"As a comic, you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop," he deadpans about why he's still playing clubs. "It's like a sickness that never leaves you."
Having never starred in a series before, Gardell landed "Mike & Molly" through an audition. The comedy, focusing on the courtship between an overweight couple, has superb pedigree: It's a production from Chuck Lorre, whose credits include "Two and a Half Men," and veteran comedy director Jim Burrows helms the episodes. Around 13 million viewers catch the show in a typical week.
Gardell, 41, is fully aware of the show's popularity, but says, "Not everybody is going to like us."
An article in Marie Claire magazine took especially sharp aim at "Mike & Molly," with the writer suggesting that watching two overweight people in a romance was repulsive.
Gardell, though, let it slide. "I grew up fat," he says. "You think I've never heard fat jokes before? I learned a long time ago about life that, hey, sometimes some people just ain't going to like your face. That's their thing."
In his act, he talks about his battle to lose weight. He works with a nutritionist and a trainer on fitness goals. But, still, "there are some days when I feel like rolling around in a pizza," says Gardell, whose weight has gone as high as 350 pounds. "I'm trying to keep the good days outnumbering the bad ones."
On the road this summer, "I'm learning to make the right choices," he says of his eating habits.
With "Mike & Molly" having completed its first season, and with another coming in the fall, Gardell, an acting novice, feels grateful. "There's a great sense of accomplishment that we made it through," he says. "The only way I can equate it is that this is like steering a ship among the rocks."
He says he had no expectations when the series began.
"I wanted to embrace the joy and fear or whatever came out of it," Gardell says. "I was ready to embrace that. It turned out to be one of the greatest journeys I have ever been on."
The journey hasn't changed him entirely. He still does his own grocery shopping, picks up his dry cleaning and fetches his own fuel at the pump. "I nearly gave a woman a heart attack the other day at Kmart," he says. "They have these T-shirts with the pockets, and the shirts fit my big (backside) perfectly.
"The woman ringing me up looked at me and said, 'Aren't you the guy from "Mike & Molly"?' I said yes, and she said, 'What are you doing here?' I said, 'I love these T-shirts.' She could hardly believe it."
"Mike & Molly" has changed his life in more personal ways, too. "I can now expect to buy a home in the next couple of years," he says. "I can look at putting my son through college."
Hardly an eviction
Faye Dunaway denies she's been evicted from her New York City apartment.
The Oscar-winning actress tells The New York Times she gave up the one-bedroom walk-up in May because it was in poor condition and she was spending less time in New York.
The paper had reported her landlord had filed a lawsuit seeking to evict her from her $1,048 rent-stabilized apartment.
The lawsuit claimed she didn't use the apartment as her primary residence as required by rent-stabilization rules.
Dunaway says she got the apartment from her mentor, playwright William Alfred, who died in 1999. She says she's been working on donating his possessions to Brooklyn College, where he did his undergraduate work.
The landlord's lawyer says Dunaway offered to hand over the apartment keys last month.
Welcome to Alice's nightmare
Alice Cooper is inviting theme park visitors into his nightmares this Halloween season.
Universal Studios Hollywood announced plans last week to construct an attraction based on the macabre rocker's album "Welcome to My Nightmare," and its upcoming sequel "Welcome 2 My Nightmare."
"We'll be creating this living horror movie within screaming distance of the sound stages where horror movies first began, so there's no place more appropriate to offer a preview of the new 'Welcome 2 My Nightmare,'" Cooper said in a statement. "This will be a nightmare that will haunt visitors' dreams for a long time to come."
The maze will feature Cooper's music as well as "guillotine decapitations, electric chairs, a sadistic insane asylum, predatory snake and giant black widow spiders."
"If you're lucky, you just might make it out alive," Cooper teased in an online video posted last week. "But I doubt it."
The walk-through experience will be part of the theme park's annual "Halloween Horror Nights" event, which begins Sept. 23 and continues on select nights through Oct. 31. Other attractions planned for this year's event include mazes based on director Eli Roth's "Hostel" horror movies and Universal's upcoming prequel to director John Carpenter's "The Thing."
Cooper, best known the songs "School's Out" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy," was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year. The shock rocker and his original band — guitarist Michael Bruce, bassist Dennis Dunaway, drummer Neal Smith and late guitarist Glen Buxton — pioneered the use of theatrics in rock.