SALEM — The back wall of a second-story apartment is now blackened and filthy from a fire that caused substantial damage but no injuries yesterday.
The occupants of the rear apartment at 33 Northey St. were not home at the time of the fire, a Salem police officer said, and an initial investigation revealed that the blaze was accidental. According to police reports, the fire was reported at 2:35 p.m., and nearby residents said officials arrived almost immediately.
"I own the building next door," Michael Hill said. "From what I'm hearing, it started on the deck."
Fire officials at the scene said the blaze likely originated on a back porch on the second floor. The blaze was put out quickly, but it traveled into the walls and expelled smoke through the damaged attic, officials said.
The damage seemed to be concentrated in the second-floor rear apartment where the fire originated. Evidence of the fire could be clearly seen only from a spot in the small backyard of the apartment.
There are about a half-dozen apartments in the building.