SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

November 26, 2013

Woman hospitalized after fire at home

By Neil H. Dempsey
Staff Writer

---- — SALEM — Firefighters extinguished a small fire at a Gardner Street house last night that sent one woman to the hospital.

Police and the Fire Department responded to 8 Gardner St. after a report that smoke was coming from the second floor of the 21/2 story building, according to radio reports and an interview with Deputy fire Chief Brian Harrington.

Once on scene, firefighters were directed by neighbors to the second floor, where they found a woman in her 60s on the floor. She was rescued by firefighter Mike Buonfiglio and transported to Salem Hospital with smoke inhalation, Harrington said.

Crews spent some time trying to locate the blaze before they found it the living room of the woman’s apartment, at which point it was quickly extinguished. Harrington said it had involved the room’s “contents,” and he estimated the damage at a couple thousand dollars.

It was unclear what started the blaze, which was still being investigated last night.

There were no other reports of injuries.

Beverly and Lynn provided station coverage during the incident.