MARBLEHEAD — The Fire Department says a homeowner’s quick work with a garden hose helped contain a car fire in a garage on Atlantic Avenue on Tuesday.
Fire and police received a 1:31 p.m. report of a car fire outside a two-story home at 450 Atlantic Ave., where fire Capt. Michael Porter said a homeowner had heard smoke detectors going off in his garage and opened the door to find his BMW ablaze.
Porter said the man had been charging his battery with a “trickle charger” at the time and that it was likely the source of ignition.
The man doused the blaze with a hose while he waited for firefighters to show up. Once they did, it only took a few minutes for them to extinguish the fire, Porter said.
“The garden hose kept it at bay, but certainly wasn’t able to put it out,” he said.
There were no injuries and the garage never actually caught fire, though it did suffer smoke damage. Porter called the fire “obviously accidental” but said it would still be investigated.