, Salem, MA

June 28, 2013

Panhandling at hotel leads to arrests


---- — SALEM — Some guests at the Salem Waterfront Hotel got an unwelcome wake-up call yesterday after three men entered the lobby and started begging, loudly, for money, police said.

And one of them is no stranger to the concept of disturbing others: John Reddy, 35, of 24 Arthur St., Beverly, has already been convicted of disorderly conduct eight times, according to his record.

He and his two companions are now facing charges of disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace.

Police went to the Pickering Wharf hotel shortly after 7 a.m., called there about the men, who were yelling and using profanity as they demanded money from guests and others passing through the lobby, Salem police Lt. Conrad Prosniewski told a judge.

One of the men, later identified as Shaun Quilty, 24, of Hingham, yelled, “Does anybody know where I can get money to get out of this corrupt state?”

During his court appearance, Quilty tried to shoulder the blame for the incident, telling Judge Michael Lauranzano, “I’m the one who was raising my voice. John was trying to calm me down.”

Lauranzano suggested that Reddy’s attorney, William O’Hare, has his contact information and could call him as a witness for the defense later on.

O’Hare said Reddy, whom he was appointed to represent yesterday, “is a very loud, animated guy with a lot of opinions” and had been out drinking all night.

When he’s sober, O’Hare said, Reddy works as a telemarketer and debt collector and recently started a job with DirecTV, the satellite dish company.

O’Hare suggested that the judge “give him a pass” on his latest case.

“I decline to give him a pass,” Lauranzano announced, setting Reddy’s bail at $100.

A third man, Matthew Reddy, 32, of Georgetown, was also charged, but the police prosecutor offered to dismiss the charges if he completes eight hours of community service, which he agreed to perform.

John Reddy and Quilty, who was released on personal recognizance but who was believed to be wanted by Quincy District Court, are due back in court July 24.

The three men had come to the attention of police earlier that morning, when an employee at Dunkin’ Donuts at 31 Bridge St. reported that they had been “hanging around the front of the store” and became upset when she asked them to leave.

Police found them on Bridge Street and advised the men not to return to the store; less than a half hour later, officers were called to Waterfront Hotel.

Staff writer Neil H. Dempsey contributed to this report. Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.