SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

May 17, 2013

Man charged with breaking into Danvers home

BY JULIE MANGANIS
STAFF WRITER

---- — DANVERS — A Danvers man who just completed probation for breaking into his former girlfriend’s trailer on Route 1 is back in trouble, after the woman found him sleeping on her couch when she returned home early yesterday, according to police.

Scott Bump, 56, who had previously been barred from the trailer by a restraining order, allegedly went in through a window, hurt himself, went to the Lahey Medical Center, was served a new restraining order, and then returned to the trailer anyway, according to police.

While there, he opened a safe containing approximately $40,000, the woman told police.

“How much was in the safe?” Salem District Court Judge Robert Brennan asked prosecutor Lars Trautman, who repeated the amount.

“She doesn’t trust banks,” Trautman explained.

Police found about $2,100 on Bump, and noticed that a piggy bank had also been broken open.

The woman had been away for a couple of days and returned home at around 3 a.m. and found Bump there.

Defense lawyer William O’Hare suggested that if his client took money, it was what was owed to him. “He could have taken all of it,” said the lawyer.

“Sometimes when your universe is a very small one, you sometimes lose perspective of the bigger picture,” said O’Hare.

Bump pleaded not guilty to charges of breaking and entering and larceny during his arraignment.

Brennan set bail at $2,500 cash, and ordered that if Bump makes bail, he must stay away from his former girlfriend and her trailer.

A pretrial conference is scheduled for June 13.

Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at jmanganis@salemnews.com or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.