, Salem, MA

May 22, 2013


The Salem News

---- — Marblehead


A Lincoln Avenue caller reported at 8:22 a.m. that a man in a silver car with tinted windows had parked in front of her neighbor’s residence several times recently. “When her neighbor left, she did not acknowledge him and left,” wrote police. “After she was gone the male changed from an EMT outfit to a hooded sweatshirt and entered the front of the house.” Police determined there was nothing amiss.

A Washington Street woman reported at 1:24 p.m. that she had found crutches in her yard.

A West Shore Drive man reported at 3:24 p.m. that three different agencies — the U.S. Coast Guard, the South Carolina Department of Insurance and the “South Carolina Department of Taxations” — had informed him that his identity had been compromised.


Police responded to a 2:51 a.m. report that a Columbia Road man’s yard lights had come on and he believed somebody was out there. Police wrote: “Nothing in the area, possibly an animal going through the back yard.”

Police found graffiti on Wyman Road, according to a 7:05 a.m. log item. “Front of grandstand, back of grandstand, tennis shed, playground, slides, two benches, basketball court and back of the score board all tagged,” wrote an officer.



Police received a 2:07 p.m. report that a man showed a handgun during a dispute in the parking lot of Stop & Shop on Howley Street. Police wrote: “Male with the handgun called 911 and stated that he attempted to break up a verbal dispute between the two males and that he had revealed that he had a weapon to the aggressor once he started to run towards him.” The man told police he’d wait for them inside his vehicle and that he had an active license to carry the weapon.

An air conditioner was reported stolen from the Holiday Inn on Newbury Street at 2:13 p.m.

A Buxton Street woman reported at 4:17 p.m. that her daughter had stolen her laptop. “Officer reports that the daughter had agreed to return her mother’s laptop,” wrote police. “Officer will follow up tomorrow to confirm that has been done.”

Police received a 5:39 p.m. report that a man with a stick was chasing another man near 36 Foster St. Police were unable to locate them.

A player on the football field at the Bishop Fenwick School had a seizure and was suffering from heat exhaustion, according to a 5:40 p.m. report. He was transported to Salem Hospital.

A caller at the YMCA on Lynnfield Street reported at 5:47 p.m. that a baby squirrel was “running after people in the parking lot.” Police wrote later: “Officer reports that the baby squirrel was scooped up into a barrel and put back into the woods.”

A woman at 20 Central St. reported at 6:07 p.m. that things were missing from her porch, but she later found the items.

Police received a 9:52 p.m. that a group of motorcycles with loud pipes were driving up and down Warren Street, but an officer was unable to locate them.

An Endicott Street caller reported at 11:09 p.m. that three youths inside a black SUV had thrown eggs at her car. Police wrote later: “Unable to locate perpetrators. Damage rinsed off. All in order.”


A 47-year-old Newbury Street man was transported to Lahey Medical Center after a 1:47 a.m. report that he was suffering from severe foot pain.

After a 7:48 a.m. report that a female on Shillaber Street had been assaulted by her stepfather, police sought a warrant for the man on charges of domestic assault and battery, malicious destruction of property over $250 and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. The victim was transported to Salem Hospital with undisclosed injuries.

Police were unable to locate a man who was reported to be using profanity while he walked with a young boy near 115 Main St.



Vehicles were broken into on Winshaw Road, Beverly Road, Bates Road, Gale Road, Holly Circle and Rockyledge Road, according to reports that began coming in during the morning hours.

Police conducted a traffic stop at 40 Essex St. at 5:30 p.m. and arrested Briana Riley, 28, of 34 Mountain Ave., Lynn, on a charge of operating with a suspended license. She was also wanted on a warrant, according to the log.



Police received a 4:39 p.m. report of a possibly rabid raccoon on a sidewalk at Margin and Summer streets, but an officer was unable to locate it.

An officer conducted a traffic stop on Highland Avenue at 6:21 p.m. and arrested Julio Cesar Boj, 31, of 319 Main St., Everett, on charges of operating a motor vehicle without a license.

A man in tan shorts stole $883.73 in razor blades — 27 cartridges — from the Walgreens on New Derby Street, according to a 6:29 p.m. report. The suspect was described as being white, between 5-foot-8 and 5-foot-10 tall, and having dirty blond hair. Police were unable to locate him.

The Walmart on Highland Avenue was evacuated after a 7:03 p.m. report that smoke was coming from the building’s roof. The Fire Department determined the smoke was coming from a lighting fixture.

Police responded to 94 Wharf St. after an 11:04 p.m. report of an intoxicated man and took one person into protective custody. “He was extremely intoxicated and said that he had fallen off the bench,” wrote police. “His pants had to be cut off because ... he was unable to walk with them around his ankles.”


A 2:52 a.m. report of a disturbance at 5 Porter St. Court resulted in the arrest of Alex Ledford, 17, of Salem, on charges of malicious destruction of property over $250, assault and battery and trespassing. An officer said Ledford had an argument with somebody he knew and then punched a window in the building, breaking it.

A vehicle struck the TD Bank building at 600 Loring Ave., according to a 12:45 p.m. report. A man will be summonsed on a charge of leaving the scene of an accident with property damage.

Police were unable to locate the person who was reported to be lying in a driveway at 265 Essex St., according to a 1:48 p.m. log item.

Police and the Fire Department responded to a 2:36 p.m. report of a vehicle fire at Highland Avenue and Barnes Road. “No fire,” wrote police. “Vehicle was leaking some sort of fluid but was otherwise functional.”



Police received a 5:12 p.m. report that a dog was locked in a car near 301 Newbury St., but police were unable to locate it.

An 8:15 p.m. report of a disobedient 8-year-old girl brought police to 190 Newbury St.

Police conducted a traffic stop at 139 Endicott St. at 10:20 p.m. and arrested Nicole Doherty, 28, of 10 Blaney Ave., Peabody, on a charge of operating with a suspended license and a motor vehicle lights violation.

An officer searched the area of Conant and Poplar streets after a 10:35 p.m. report of a “large cat,” but to no avail.


A 12:43 p.m. report of shoplifting at the Kohl’s on Independence Way resulted in the arrests of Stephanie Moore, 18, of 11 Carolyn Drive, Danvers, and Justice Patricko, 18, of 2 Sterling Ave., Peabody, each on a charge of shoplifting over $100.

Police received a 3:30 p.m. report of a “bone in back yard” at 26 Chestnut St., but an officer later called it “unfounded.”



Police responded to a 10:04 p.m. report of a suspicious car at the Appleton Farms parking lot on Highland Street and arrested Colton Blanchette, 20, of 93 Central St., Byfield, on a charge of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.


A report around 5:30 p.m. that a passerby had seen a man on Highland Street repeatedly hit his 12-year-old son resulted in the arrest of Stephen Wickers, 58, of 15 Eddel Ave., Wenham, on a charge of domestic assault and battery. Wickers was arrested at his home.



Police fielded a 2:42 a.m. report of “rocks through window of house” at 38 E. Corning St.

A 10:23 a.m. report that a man was pacing back and forth and looking upset brought police to 10 Park St. “No basis for the call,” an officer wrote later. “Party left area on own accord.”

Rafael Alves, 27, of 1199 Washington St., Norwood, was arrested on charges of assault by means of a dangerous weapon and assault after a 2:39 p.m. request for police assistance from the Beverly Hospital. He was also wanted on a warrant.


Paint had been spattered on a porch at 139 Park St., according to a 4:08 a.m. report.

Grease ignited in an oven at 61 Odell Ave., causing a small fire, according to a 9:29 a.m. log item.

Police received a 7:44 p.m. report that there was a coyote in the backyard of 2 Mark Road.