BY JULIE MANGANIS
---- — BEVERLY — A judge has ordered that a 34-year-old Beverly man, charged in what a prosecutor called a “sadistic” attack on a 64-year-old disabled woman he claimed to be dating, be held without bail.
Scott Gilbert, who was living with the alleged victim on Cabot Street last September, is charged with two counts of assault and battery on a person over 60, one count involving serious bodily injury.
The woman suffered a broken jaw, and yesterday a prosecutor revealed that the woman told a grand jury that the injury occurred when Gilbert sat on her head, one of a series of assaults over a two-night period that ended in the woman’s hospitalization.
The woman also told the grand jury that while she was bleeding, Gilbert poured salt onto her bleeding wounds, telling her that’s how they would heal.
Prosecutor Jennifer Kirshenbaum said Gilbert appeared to take “sadistic pleasure” in what he was doing to the woman.
But Gilbert’s attorney, Jeffrey Sweeney, noted that the woman’s account has been inconsistent, referring to an initial statement to police in which she said Gilbert had punched her.
She did not tell the grand jury, however, that she had been punched.
Sweeney also said his client denies that he was pursuing the woman romantically.
He asked Salem Superior Court Judge John Lu to let Gilbert go to a residential drug treatment program.
But Lu said he found that Gilbert poses too great a danger to be released before trial.
He ordered that Gilbert remain in custody at Middleton Jail.
A pre-trial conference in the case is set for Jan. 15.
Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at email@example.com or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.