, Salem, MA

October 11, 2013


The Salem News

---- — Marblehead


Police received a 1:32 p.m. complaint that a basketball hoop was set up on Cedar Street, but an officer wrote later: “Both hoops are located off public property.”

An Atlantic Avenue woman reported at 2:57 p.m. that her debit card had been fraudulently used, but an officer wrote later: “Woman now changed her mind and does not want to file a report.”

A male on Atlantic Avenue reported that a family dispute had “turned into people putting hands on each other” at 10:36 p.m.



An Eastman Park woman reported at 5:09 p.m. that her $300 canoe named “Little Me” had been stolen at some point on Monday.

An Elizabeth Lane man reported at 5:42 p.m. that his neighbor had hung a profanity-laced sign in the direction of his home, thus violating a harassment order. The man who allegedly did so will be summonsed to court on a charge of violating a harassment order, according to the log.

An officer responded to 266 Newbury St., Lot 66, to conduct a well-being check on a cat, according to the log. “Allegations are: neglected, emaciated, matted fur. Called in by a cruelty investigator in Peabody.” An officer reported later that “there were no signs of a cat being neglected. The owner of Lot 66 did not even own a cat.”


A 3:09 a.m. report of an attempted break-in to a motor vehicle brought police to 1120 Crane Brook Way, where they determined an intoxicated 50-year-old man was trying to find his cousin’s house at 261 Newbury St. “He was transported there to ‘sleep off another one,’” an officer wrote in the log.

A Union Street woman “walked into the station with a bone from her backyard that was dug up by her dog,” according to an 8:35 a.m. log item. “It is being looked at by Northeast Veterinary Hospital.”

A student at the high school on Lowell Street had missed the bus to the Middleton Jail field trip, so the school officer transported the student to the jail, according to a 9:15 a.m. log item.

Police received a 9:49 a.m. report of an abuse prevention order violation on Goodale Street. Subsequently arrested was John J. Connors, 50, of 261 Newbury St., Apt. 110C, Peabody, on a charge of violating an abuse prevention order.

Somebody reported at 9:55 a.m. that a suspicious person was “reading a book” inside a vehicle at 22 Cleveland Road. Police wrote later: “The officer stated that the male was [a] real estate broker looking at properties.”



Police were unable to locate girls who were reported to be holding a sign at Cabot and Pickett streets at 5 p.m.

Police responded to School and River streets after a 9:10 p.m. report that a man was yelling in the street. “Party walked back to Salem,” an officer wrote later. “Was upset he missed train.”


Officers were unable to locate anything suspicious after a 5:01 a.m. report that a male “with a machete” was walking around the complex at Brimbal Avenue and Broughton Drive “stating someone just broke into his home.”



A 6:32 a.m. report of an alarm brought police to the Swampscott Public Library at 61 Burrill St. An officer wrote later that it had possibly been set off by somebody delivering newspapers.



A 4:18 p.m. that a man was yelling at a dog brought police to Turner Street. “Clear,” an officer wrote later. “Nothing found.”

Police responded to the area of 232 Highland Ave. after a 4:49 p.m. report that a man had taken an object from a vehicle and spoke to him. He “related that he earns a little extra money by cleaning out the girls’ cars at the Dunkin’ Donuts,” wrote police. The manager at the store confirmed that. Police took a knife from the man — he said he’d found it while cleaning a building in Lynn.

A man reported at 5:59 p.m. that his bag had gone missing after he placed it on the ground on Liberty Street “for a minute” the previous Friday. The bag reportedly contained two asthma inhalers and cigarettes.

Officers responded to 17 Broadway after an 11:25 p.m. report that an “undesirable” was on the front steps there and spoke to a man: “He related he wanted to stay at his friend’s house for the night, but his friend’s wife wanted him to leave. He was escorted off the property and agreed not to return.”


A female reported at 2:26 a.m. that she’d been approached by a white man — described as bald and about 45 years old — in a black vehicle as she walked home from the 7-Eleven on North Street. First he pulled along side her and asked if she needed a ride; after being told she didn’t, he continued to drive along side her and yelled at her to “get in the car,” according to the log. The female ran home to her residence. Police were unable to locate the man.

A Cabot Street woman reported at 10:16 a.m. that she had sent $1,430 to somebody via Western Union after somebody who wanted to buy her bed on Craigslist had sent her a check for $1,630 and told her to “sent the rest of the monies back to them.” An officer advised her this was a “common scam” and advised her that Bank of America “should be assisting her more since they cashed the check.”

A woman on Hillside Avenue told police about 12:30 p.m. that a suspicious man who had identified himself as a state trooper — but hadn’t shown identification — has asked about her boyfriend. Police advised both individuals to contact police if the man returned.

Police responded to Washington and New Derby streets at 12:43 p.m. to check on a female who was reported to be “crawling on the pavement.” An officer wrote later: “Party stating she was trying to help a mouse with a broken leg [be]cause it’s one of God’s creatures. She was checked out and sent on her way.”

A detective issued a cease-and-desist order to Fatima’s Psychic Studio at 6 Hawthorne Blvd. because the business was “being operated without a valid license to do so,” according to a 4:49 p.m. log item.

A dark-skinned man with a knife groped a female on Harbor Street shortly before 8:30 p.m., according to radio reports. The man was described as being about 6 feet tall and having a pierced lower lip. He was wearing a white T-shirt, dark pants and white-and-black Nike Air Force 1 shoes at the time of the attack, and was last seen heading toward Shetland Park on Harbor Street. An officer was overheard saying that he had interacted with a male matching that description before the attack, and that he had last seen the male headed in the direction of the area where it happened.



Police received an 11:40 a.m. report that a tire had been slashed on a vehicle at the Econo Lodge on Endicott Street, but an officer later called it “unfounded.”