, Salem, MA

October 23, 2013


The Salem News

---- — Marblehead


An Ocean Avenue woman reported at 10:47 a.m. that her cellphone was stolen between 6 and 7 a.m. “Through the use of Internet tracking, she was able to locate it in a pile of leaves ... in the Devereux Beach area,” police wrote.


Police received a 12:09 a.m. report from a woman on Devereux Terrace who said her ex-boyfriend had been calling her with “disparaging, hurtful comments.” Police wrote: “She is beginning to feel nervous for her safety.” An officer advised her about restraining orders and women’s support groups in the area.



An officer conducted a traffic stop on Lynn Street at 6:08 p.m. and subsequently arrested Jason R. Banville, 30, of 12 Oak Ave., Peabody, on a charge of operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license, subsequent offense, and a miscellaneous motor vehicle equipment violation.

The Fire Department was notified after an 11:14 p.m. report of a leaf fire at 135 Lowell St.


A person was transported to Salem Hospital after a 5:30 a.m. report of a vehicle-versus-pedestrian accident at Sutton and Berkley streets. No further information was available last night.

A 9:47 a.m. report of shoplifting brought police to Stop & Shop on Howley Street, where they determined a 63-year-old man had “taken an item off the shelf and drank it.” Police wrote: “The store had him leave the area prior to the arrival of the officer.”

Police received a 1:18 p.m. report from a woman who said a man had assaulted her boyfriend at an Elmwood Circle address. Subsequently arrested was Andrew M. Capela, 22, of 13 Albert Road, Peabody, on charges of domestic assault and battery, assault and battery, and breaking and entering for a misdemeanor.

Police were unable to locate a suspicious male who was reported to be walking up and down the street with a computer at Ellsworth and Columbus roads at 1:53 p.m.



Police received a 1:46 p.m. report that somebody at Walgreens on Paradise Road was “threatening to beat up everyone.”



A 6:38 p.m. report that somebody was “looking around homes” brought police to Echo Avenue and Matthies Street. Police wrote later: “Party was soliciting for a home remodeling company. He was informed to get a solicitor’s permit from city hall. Party left the area.”

Police responded to an 11:29 p.m. report that a man was sleeping in a vehicle at Park and Pleasant streets. An officer wrote later: “Party under the influence of marijuana. No operation. Towed for 12-hour safe keep. Party very argumentative and disrespectful toward officers.”


A 2:54 p.m. report that two girls were fighting at 202 Rantoul St. resulted in the arrest of Kathleen Hammond, 25, of the same address, on a charge of domestic assault and battery.

Police received a 3:51 p.m. report that three men were lighting small fires with gasoline in the area of 25 River St.

A 4:16 p.m. report that somebody was shooting a crossbow brought police to 184 Bridge St., but they didn’t report finding anything amiss there.



Police responded to a 4:59 a.m. report that a woman in a red coat was staggering behind the plaza at 400 Highland Ave. and found her sitting against the building in a dark area. The intoxicated woman “had no recollection of where she had been tonight or how she had made it to where she was,” and “stated several times that she believed she was in Lowell, Tewksbury or Billerica,” police wrote. She was taken into protective custody.

A 6:33 a.m. complaint regarding leaf blowers brought police to the Staples parking lot at 17 Paradise Road, where they advised a man to stop working until 8 a.m.

Police were unable to locate a young female who was reported to be “seeking directions” at Highland Avenue and Jackson Street at 10:17 a.m.

A 1:48 p.m. report that suspicious youths were looking into vehicles brought police to the parking garage on New Liberty Street. Three youths were subsequently arrested on a charge of attempting to commit a crime, to wit, breaking and entering into a motor vehicle.



Police received an 8:54 a.m. report that a Mercedes at Home Depot on Newbury Street had been broken into.

A residence at 308 Maple St. had been broken into via a window, according to a 2:41 p.m. report.

Police were looking last night for a 15-year-old boy who hadn’t returned to his Riverside Street address after school, according to radio reports. The boy was described as a being light-skinned with a thin build, about 135 pounds. He was wearing a red hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans when he was last seen, which was about 3:30 p.m. at the high school. An officer said the boy’s phone had been pinged to Hollywood Hits on Hutchinson Drive about 4:30 p.m. and that an officer with a K9 had investigated in that area.



The Fire Department responded to a 7:30 a.m. report of a chimney fire at 114 Linden St. Firefighters extinguished the blaze, which had spread to an interior wooden wall that a flue passed through. A man, woman and two dogs evacuated the residence beforehand, and there were no injuries. Fire Chief Phil Stevens estimated the damage at a few thousand dollars.



Following a report of a domestic assault, police responded to 94 Boston. St. about 7 p.m. and arrested Raymond Abbott, 52, of the same address, on a charge of domestic assault and battery.