SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Local News

November 6, 2013

Suffolk Downs to reassess casino bid after defeat

BOSTON (AP) — Suffolk Downs says it will reassess plans to build a resort casino at the 78-year-old thoroughbred race track after East Boston voters rejected its proposal.

In a statement, Chief Operation Officer Chip Tuttle thanked Revere voters for supporting the project in a separate referendum. He also thanked the people of East Boston for allowing the company to state its case.

Suffolk Downs had reached host community agreements with officials in Boston and Revere, but its recent decision to sever ties with operating partner Caesars Entertainment created some uncertainty over the project.

The move came after Suffolk Downs was briefed on concerns raised during the commission’s background check of Caesars.

Suffolk Downs had been hoping to compete for the sole eastern Massachusetts casino license allowed under the state’s 2011 gambling law.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

AP Video
Judge Ponders Overturning Colo. Gay Marriage Ban Airlines Halt Travel to Israel Amid Violence NYPD Chief Calls for 'use of Force' Retraining VA Nominee McDonald Goes Before Congress Bush: Don't Worry, Sugarland Isn't Breaking Up US Official: Most Migrant Children to Be Removed Police Probing Brooklyn Bridge Flag Switch CDC Head Concerned About a Post-antibiotic Era Raw: First Lady Says `Drink Up' More Water Courts Conflicted Over Healthcare Law Holder Urges Bipartisanship on Immigration Raw: Truck, Train Crash Leads to Fireball US Airlines Cancel Israel Flights Obama Signs Workforce Training Law Crash Victims' Remains Reach Ukraine-held City Diplomatic Push Intensifies to End War in Gaza Cat Fans Lap Up Feline Film Festival Michigan Plant's Goal: Flower and Die Veteran Creates Job During High Unemployment
Comments Tracker