SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

April 11, 2014

Lloyd gets probation on guilty plea

By James Niedzinski
Staff Writer

---- — SALEM — More than two years after exposing himself multiple times to a then-12-year-old girl, a former Gloucester and Manchester resident who is listed as a Level 3 sex offender, has been sentenced to 10 years’ probation but was otherwise spared jail time after pleading guilty in Salem Superior Court.

Starr H. Lloyd III, now 45 and living in Danvers, documents show, pleaded guilty to charges of open and gross lewdness Wednesday, just before jury selection was to begin in his trial — a trial in which his wife would have been called to testify, documents indicate.

Lloyd, charged after he was interrogated by Gloucester police in March 2012, was ordered to serve the 10 years’ probation by Essex County Superior Court Judge Kenneth V. Desmond Jr.

In addition, he was ordered to stay away from the victim, to have no supervised contact with anyone under 18, to “remain employed or actively seeking employment,” to enter counseling under the probation department and to wear a Global Positioning System bracelet.

He must also remain registered and comply with the state’s sex offender registry board and with a DNA registry, as well.

According to Gloucester police and prosecutors, Lloyd exposed himself to a 12-year-old girl in his then-Gloucester residence multiple times. Police reports indicated that the actions continued after his wife, who was home at the time, told him to stop engaging in such behavior.

Carrie Kimball Monahan, spokeswoman for the office of Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett, said yesterday that prosecutor and Assistant District Attorney Jessica Strasnick had asked for “one to two years in a state prison.” Monahan added that should Lloyd break any conditions of this probation, he could still face up to three years in a state prison.

Lloyd, who was freed on $3,000 bail issued by Gloucester District Court Judge Joseph Jennings and paid by Lloyd’s father of Manchester after his initial March 2012 court appearance, had been under home confinement since May 2012. Assessing records show that Lloyd bought a condo on Sylvan Street in Danvers for $97,000 in March 2012 — the same month as the exposure incident in Gloucester.

Lloyd’s attorney, Rosalyn Stults, did not return phone calls yesterday.

When he was first charged in 2012, Lloyd pleaded not guilty. Court reports indicate that while his version of events at the house virtually corroborated the girl’s statements to police, he denied exposing himself.

In the interim, Stults had requested mental health records of the victim, saying that the girl’s therapist could be used as a witness. Also, the Department of Children & Families reports showed that the 12-year-old had alleged “inappropriate behavior” and abuse by elder relatives in the past.

The District Attorney’s office had also filed a witness list Wednesday, and motions were being heard up until Lloyd’s guilty plea that day.

Stults also successfully filed a motion to “exclude references to the defendant’s prior ‘bad acts’ and sex offender registration,” according to court documents.

Desmond, however, had indicated that he was inclined to allow testimony from Lloyd’s wife, and the issue was taken under advisement by the judge before the guilty plea. But, Judge John Lu, who previously heard the case, had denied a motion to suppress the interview by the Gloucester Police Department.

In addition, Stults filed a motion that Desmond be allowed to “exclude references to the defendant’s prior convictions.”

Some previous convictions include open and gross lewdness in 2001 and in 2002.

Lloyd also faced a rape charge out of Manchester in 2009 after he allegedly broke into the home of a 16-year-old girl and raped her. But the case was dropped for a failure to prosecute. Monahan declined yesterday to comment on why that charge was not pursued.