PEABODY — A Pop-Tart in a toaster created a fire that spread to cabinets and drew four firetrucks to Lowell Street yesterday.
Fortunately, some didn't have to come far because the blaze started shortly before 5 p.m. in a house alongside the West Peabody fire station. A 15-year-old boy was home at the time, but no injuries were reported.
Deputy fire Chief Richard Nelson acknowledged that if you have to have a fire, this was likely the best place in town to have it. He noted, as well, that this isn't the first time it's happened.
A year ago, a firefighter at the same station looked out the window and realized that a house across the road was billowing smoke. That fire was also quickly extinguished.
Damage yesterday was estimated at $5,000.