The Salem News
---- — SALEM — Firefighters responded to a one-room fire last night at 27 Charter St., a 12-story elderly housing complex.
The fire was called in at 10:26 p.m., according to the Fire Department. It was reportedly knocked down about 20 minutes later.
A resident in Apartment 301 was cooking when the fire broke out, according to John Boris, chairman of the board of directors at the Salem Housing Authority.
He was taken to Salem Hospital as a precaution, Boris said.
There were reports of a chair on fire on the third floor, which triggered the sprinkler system, according to the Fire Department.
Residents were evacuated, according to police scanner reports.
The number of residents who live in the building was unavailable last night.
The building is operated by the Salem Housing Authority, according to the Fire Department.
More details were not available as of The Salem News’ deadline last night.
— Jonathan Phelps