, Salem, MA

January 16, 2013

Man lashes out at judge


---- — BEVERLY — A Beverly man charged with grabbing a teenage boy by the throat and lifting him from the ground three times lashed out at a judge and then kicked a door when he was told he would be held without bail until at least next week.

“It’s all, it’s bogus,” shouted Timothy Shepard, 32, of 6 Morgan Road, Beverly, who pleaded not guilty during his arraignment in Salem District Court to a charge of assault and battery.

Shepard was charged after his girlfriend and her teenage son showed up at the Beverly Police Department on Cabot Street shortly after 6 p.m. Monday to report the incident.

They told officers that Shepard and the boy’s mother had been arguing when the boy tried to intervene, prosecutor Lynsey Legier told a judge.

Shepard grabbed the boy by the throat and lifted him from the floor at least three times, then slammed him into a door and held his forearm against the boy’s throat, the prosecutor said.

Shepard also ripped the boy’s chain from his neck, according to the police report, which noted that there were red marks on the boy’s throat consistent with his account of what happened.

As the boy and his mother were reporting the incident, Shepard showed up at the Beverly police station, yelling that the teenager was lying and “a punk,” according to the police report.

Shepard was arrested.

Shepard remained agitated during his arraignment, demanding to be allowed to speak. When Judge Matthew Machera told him, “No. You have an attorney,” Shepard complained that the lawyer hadn’t gotten him out of custody as he wanted.

Machera explained that prosecutors had filed a request to hold Shepard without bail as a dangerous person and that there was little his lawyer could do at this point.

“I have a $20,000 job loan and three employees outside,” Shepard yelled.

Shepard denied the allegations, then claimed that the boy is “two times my size.” Shepard is 6 feet 2 inches tall and 205 pounds, according to court papers.

When his argument was not persuasive, Shepard kicked the door to a holding area in the courtroom, demanding that court officers “open the (expletive) door.”

Shepard will be back in court for his dangerousness hearing on Jan. 23. Until then, he’ll remain in custody at Middleton Jail.

Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.