SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Local News

February 7, 2013

Swampscott blaze ignited by cigarette

SWAMPSCOTT — A woman was hospitalized after a fire at a Superior Street residence yesterday afternoon that officials say began when she dropped a lit cigarette on her bed.

The Fire Department responded to a 12:05 p.m. report of a fire in the rear bedroom on the first floor of 2 Superior St. Fire Capt. Kevin Thompson said the bed and bedroom furnishings had caught fire by the time firefighters arrived on scene.

The fire was contained to the bedroom and quickly extinguished. The woman was transported to Salem Hospital for evaluation but sustained no specific injuries, Thompson said.

Thompson said the woman might need to replace windows before she returns to inhabit the unit but that the second floor occupants of the two-and-a-half story building were not expected to be displaced by the fire.

Engines from Marblehead and Lynn assisted at the scene and Salem firefighters provided station coverage during the incident.

Crews cleared the scene by 1:14 p.m.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

AP Video
Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins
Comments Tracker