By Neil H. Dempsey
---- — SWAMPSCOTT — A woman was hospitalized after a fire at a Superior Street residence yesterday afternoon that officials say began when she dropped a lit cigarette on her bed.
The Fire Department responded to a 12:05 p.m. report of a fire in the rear bedroom on the first floor of 2 Superior St. Fire Capt. Kevin Thompson said the bed and bedroom furnishings had caught fire by the time firefighters arrived on scene.
The fire was contained to the bedroom and quickly extinguished. The woman was transported to Salem Hospital for evaluation but sustained no specific injuries, Thompson said.
Thompson said the woman might need to replace windows before she returns to inhabit the unit but that the second floor occupants of the two-and-a-half story building were not expected to be displaced by the fire.
Engines from Marblehead and Lynn assisted at the scene and Salem firefighters provided station coverage during the incident.
Crews cleared the scene by 1:14 p.m.