PEABODY — A fire in a Lowell Street house has temporarily displaced three families, according to the American Red Cross.
Reports of an electrical or furnace fire at 722 Lowell St. came in at about 4:20 p.m., according to scanner reports.
Radio reports said the fire was in the cellar. Firefighters on scene called for a multipurpose extinguisher to put out the fire, and the city’s electrical inspector was called. Crews were also called to ventilate the building, and power was ordered cut to the house.
The Peabody Fire Department could not provide any further details this evening.
Ashley Studley, a spokeswoman for the American Red Cross of Eastern Massachusetts, said there are three units in the building, an old-style home whose owner is listed as Kathleen H. Cameron, and which is assessed at $341,400, according to city records.
One of the units where two adults and three children lived was unoccupied at the time of the fire. These residents were not in need of Red Cross assistance and they have a place to stay, Studley said.
At the time of the fire, two adults and three children were at home in one unit, and two adults were at home in the other unit.
The Red Cross provided emergency temporary shelter in a motel, money for food, and comfort kits of toiletries. The children got Mickey Mouse dolls. There were no reports of injuries on the radio during the incident.