, Salem, MA

September 19, 2013


The Salem News

---- — Marblehead


A Skinners Path man reported at 2:31 p.m. that he hadn’t been able to locate his passport for about two years.

Police received a 4:46 p.m. report from a woman who said an older man in a beige jacket had approached her daughter at the library on Pleasant Street and asked her for directions. “When the mother approached and asked why he wouldn’t ask an adult, he said it was because he figured a high-schooler would know,” wrote police. Police found the man but apparently determined nothing was amiss: “He’s staying at 5 Stacey Street, kicking him loose,” an officer wrote later.

A woman reported at 5:10 p.m. that she’d seen a boy about 14 years old “on the phone, not talking, go into the bushes” at a park on Fader Place. “She said that as she was leaving an hour later, the teen came back out of the bushes with the phone up like he was on it. She said that it seems like he was not talking and didn’t know if the teen was just listening to something. She found it odd because she had never seen or heard of a teen going into the bushes for an hour.” Police were unable to locate the boy.

Police responded to a 6:40 p.m. report that skateboarders were in the middle of the roadway “like they were cars” at West Shore and Pitman roads. An officer wrote later: “Found skateboarders on the side of the road, informed they need to keep to the side of the road.”


Police received an 11:37 a.m. report that “teens or older parties” had stacked picnic tables on top of each other to gain access to the roof of the school on Brook Road. Police wrote: “She stated that the custodians will find them stacked behind the building on Monday morning. She requests that officers do an additional check in the area on weekends.”

A group of 25 to 30 7- or 8-year-olds had run down the middle of Norman Street and into the woods, according to a 3:10 p.m. log item. The reporting party said “there was one adult that may have been with them in a black SUV but thought it was very dangerous that they were in the middle of the street,” wrote police. An officer later found a group of children with their parents but determined they were “not causing any issues at this time.”


A Hawkes Street man reported at 2:26 a.m. that his 52-year-old wife had gone missing at some point since 10 p.m. Police wrote: “He stated that he heard the alarm sound briefly at some point. He made a thorough search of the residence and reported all cars were present.” After officers were dispatched to the residence, the man called back and said he’d found his wife “in bed, next to him.” Police wrote: “She was without medical issues and required no assistance of any kind. She was well and unharmed. He stated she is a small woman and was fast asleep.”



A caller on Smith Lane reported at 3:59 p.m. that she had been “verbally attacked by the postman for having her dog on the beach.”

A manager at the Chipotle restaurant on Paradise Road reported at 5:46 p.m. that a man who had previously tried to get a refund “for an allegation of food that made a child sick” had tried again but fled before police arrived.


Police received a 3:18 p.m. report that several children were on the roof of a residence near Muriel Road, throwing things at a neighboring house. “They have since crawled back into window,” wrote police.



Police responded to a 2:55 p.m. report that an 89-year-old woman had fallen on the escalator at the Sears at the Northshore Mall and was bleeding from her head. Police wrote later that the woman had refused medical transport.

A 3:34 p.m. report that a woman’s neighbor kept “spitting on her door” brought police to 7 Oak St., where the neighbor in question denied the allegations.

A woman reported at 6:03 p.m. that her 18-year-old daughter had been approached by a man in a purple Mazda near 637 Lowell St. “She stated that the male party had asked out her daughter on a date and she thought this was suspicious,” wrote police.

An employee at the Container Store at the Northshore Mall reported at 10:20 p.m. that a tan vehicle had been parked nearby over several nights, apparently watching as trucks unloaded. An officer located the vehicle and determined its operator was taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi. “He has been advised to move along and to find another Wi-Fi area,” wrote an officer.

A woman on Becket Street reported at 10:51 p.m. that her boyfriend had assaulted her. Subsequently arrested was William J. Waytes, 38, of 27 Beckett St., Apt. 5, Peabody, on charges of domestic assault and battery and intimidation of a witness.


A Sprague Street caller reported at 1:43 a.m. that he or she had heard glass breaking at the home next door and then saw a man urinating in front of it. Officer spoke to the man, who said he “locked himself out of the home and that he had to break the window of the home to get in, but did not do it in time to use the bathroom.”

Police notified the DPW after an 8:04 a.m. report that somebody had spray-painted graffiti on the “Welcome to Peabody” sign near 297 Lynn St.

A Herold Road woman reported that a skunk and its baby were living underneath her shed, according to an 8:51 a.m. log item. “I advised her she’d have to hire an exterminator, or she could call Mass. Wildlife for further info on living with wildlife,” wrote an officer.

A motorist reported at 2:04 p.m. that there were people standing by the side of the road at Winona Street and Pond View Road. “The officer confirmed that they are bird watching and they are off to the side of the road,” police wrote later.

A 2:20 p.m. report of an accident brought police to Lowell and Endicott streets. Subsequently arrested was Maurice J. O’Connor, 76, of 1 Kenniston Road, Lynnfield, on charges of drunken driving, fifth offense; operating with a license suspended for drunken driving and failure to slow. No injuries were reported.

A man reported at 6:15 p.m. that somebody had spilled red fingernail polish on his car while it was parked at 19 Garden Road.


An 11:27 a.m. report of a neighborhood dispute brought police to 3 Forenza Road, where they determined a man was upset that his neighbor had parked on the street. “He was informed that his neighbor is allowed to park on the street,” police wrote.

Police received a 12:17 p.m. report that solicitors were going door-to-door on Fairview Avenue “selling beef.” The people had already checked in with the department, according to the log item.

A 1:23 p.m. report of a disturbance brought police to City Hall, where they spoke with a man who was angry “because he couldn’t obtain his military records.” An officer wrote later: “He was instructed he needed to place the request in writing.”



Police responded to a 5:46 p.m. report of an accident at 41 Garden St. and subsequently arrested Lance Davis, 27, of the same address, on a charge of drunken driving, second offense, and having no inspection sticker. The arresting officer said the accident actually occurred at Center and Prince streets, and that Davis and the woman involved had gone to his residence to exchange papers. Once on scene, the officer determined that Davis was intoxicated and placed him under arrest, he said. Neither person was reported injured.


Police were unable to locate a male who was reported at 7:04 p.m. to be on the roof of the Great Oak Elementary School, 76 Pickering St.


Police received a 3:19 p.m. report that somebody had shoplifted a golf club from Golfers Warehouse, 4 Newbury St.



Police were unable to locate a man who was reported at 4:47 p.m. to be urinating on parked cars near Bridge and Carpenter streets.

A 9:12 p.m. report that a loud noise was coming from an apartment brought 260 Washington St., where they determined a 2-year-old child was “the one making all the noise.” An officer wrote: “He was advised to stop jumping.”

Officers were dispatched to Essex Street after a 9:17 p.m. report of a hit-and-run and stopped a vehicle with heavy front-end damage operating without headlights, according to the log. Subsequently arrested was Joseph L. Bussone, 57, of 31 Broad St., Lynn, on charges of driving under the influence of drugs, two counts of leaving the scene of property damage, operating without headlights and a seatbelt violation. No injuries were reported

A 9:20 p.m. report of a domestic dispute brought police to 360 Essex St., where they determined a man and his girlfriend had been arguing about “bills not being paid.”


Police responded to Orne and Appleton streets after a 4:39 a.m. report of a domestic dispute and determined a man and woman were arguing over the latter “not wanting to get out of the vehicle.” According to the log, the dispute had turned physical; subsequently arrested was Oneis M. Phillips, 32, of 81 Union St., Lynn, on a charge of domestic assault and battery.

A 7:37 a.m. report that two raccoons were in a driveway brought police to 217 North St. An officer wrote later: “Upon arrival the raccoons had already left the area.”

Police responded to a 7:54 a.m. report that an intruder was possibly in the home at 7 Meadow St., but officers were unable to locate anything suspicious.

A 9:47 a.m. report that a sick cat was on a lawn brought police to 34 Shore Ave. “Clear,” police wrote later, “cat is up and about doing okay.”

Police responded to 7 May St. after a 12:40 p.m. report that people were yelling. Officers subsequently determined that a woman was “upset over the fact that she had to bring her three cats to the vet and she was talking loudly to her fiancee.” Police advised her to “keep the noise down.”

Police received a 12:57 p.m. report that a man was yelling at his television at 18 Leach St.



Police received a 6:36 p.m. report that a male on Manor Road was hearing voices.

A vehicle at 7 Reservoir Road had been broken into and a pocketbook and diaper bag stolen from inside, according to a 7:08 p.m. report.

A 2:48 p.m. report that a man “appeared to have brass knuckles” brought police to 434 Rantoul St. “Both parties made eye contact, but never exchanged words,” wrote police. “Reporting party was nervous, wanted police to know about incident.” Police didn’t report finding anything suspicious.