SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

September 24, 2013

Salem man convicted of motor vehicle homicide

By Neil H. Dempsey
Staff Writer

---- — SALEM — A local man was convicted yesterday of motor vehicle homicide by negligent operation in connection to a 2010 crash in Lynn that killed a man, according to a statement from the from Essex County district attorney.

Derek Gallien, 27, was sentenced at Lynn District Court to two-and-a-half years in the house of correction, with one year to be served and the balance suspended for three years. Additionally, Gallien will lose his driver’s license for 15 years and must perform 300 hours of community service, plus complete a driver safety program and a mental health evaluation.

Gallien was driving the tow truck that crashed into a Honda Civic at a red light on the Lynnway on July 30, 2010, killing Edward Ma, who had been in the car’s back seat. Two other passengers in the Honda escaped serious harm.

The district attorney had argued that Gallien wasn’t paying proper attention at the time of the crash and said Gallien had told police he’d been distracted by the tow truck’s computer.

“Distracted driving is a tremendous threat to public safety,” District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said in the release. “As this case illustrates, the consequences for multi-tasking while driving can be catastrophic.”