, Salem, MA

September 25, 2013


The Salem News

---- — Marblehead


Police received an 8:54 a.m. report that an antique clock, furniture and silver was missing from a house on Clifton Heights Lane. Police wrote: “Caller stated that items were taken from his house, he believes he may know who took them.”

Three males were passing out Bibles in front of the middle school on Pleasant Street, according to a 1:27 p.m. log item.

A woman reported at 3:36 p.m. that a “heavy-set kid and a shorter, skinnier male with blond hair” had asked her son if he wanted “bud” while he walked home from school on Smith Street. Police investigated but didn’t report finding anything suspicious.



A manager at Century Bank at 12 Peabody Square reported at 2:37 p.m. that two males had a left a skimming device on the ATM “on the 18th and 19th.” An officer viewed security footage of the two. Police are investigating, and no further information was available last night.

The catalytic converter had been stolen off a vehicle at 8 Essex Center Drive, according to a 5:16 p.m. report.

Police received an 8:03 p.m. report that a cat had “attacked” its owner and his daughter at 31/2 Union St. “Quarantine issued to the owner,” wrote police.


Police responded to a 3:52 a.m. report of a disturbance at 9 Holten St. An officer wrote later: “There was no disturbance as reported, just a loud TV, which was turned down without incident.”

A caller reported at 8:33 a.m. that he had seen a truck with a trailer back into a motorcycle at Washington and Wheeler streets, knocking it over. Police were unable to locate the motorcycle.

An officer conducted a traffic stop at Hamilton Road and Birchwood Avenue at 10:04 a.m. and subsequently arrested Merira Lopez, 24, of 36 Timson St., Lynn, on charges of unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and motor vehicle not meeting RMV safety standards.

Police received an 11:30 a.m. report that somebody had phoned Walgreens at 35 Main St. and “made threats toward the business.”

A woman reported at 11:46 a.m. that her catalytic converter had been stolen while she was parked at 2 Essex Center Drive.

A 12:08 p.m. report of shoplifting at Sears at Northshore Mall resulted in the arrest of Julio Martinez, 30, of 221 Lafayette St., Apt. 3, Salem, on a charge of shoplifting by concealing merchandise.

A Proctor Circle woman reported at 12:51 p.m. that someone had set up a campsite in the woods behind her house.



A 5:39 p.m. report of a disturbance at Machon school on Burpee Road resulted in the arrests of two 14-year-old boys on charges of breaking and entering for a misdemeanor, resisting arrest and trespassing.

Police responded to a 6:23 p.m. report that somebody working on a car at 13 Cherry St. had dumped oil in the street, but an officer later called the report “unfounded.”



Police responded to a 4:44 p.m. report that a coyote was in the backyard of 28 Cherry Hill Ave. “On arrival, the coyote was gone from the area,” an officer wrote later.

After a 6:05 p.m. report that a telephone pole was damaged in the area of North Street and Garden Terrace, an officer determined it was leaning toward the street “under the weight of a street light.” National Grid responded to rectify the situation.

A 7:45 p.m. report of a structure fire brought police and the Fire Department to 23 Settlers Way, where they determined that there was actually an issue with a fireplace, not a structure fire. “Fire advised me that there were no major issues and that I could clear,” wrote an officer.

A 9:03 p.m. report that a group had stolen a flag from Walyo’s Market at 20 Essex St. resulted in one person being taken into protective custody. He will also be summonsed to court on a charge of malicious destruction of property under $250, according to the log.

A woman reported that somebody had stolen her purse from her unlocked vehicle while it was parked for five minutes on Briggs Street.

Police responded to 400 Highland Ave. after a 10:41 p.m. noise complaint and advised a man who operates a rug-cleaning company to shut off one of the generators that was running outside. An officer wrote: “After the generator was shut off, the noise level was lowered and did not appear to be causing a disturbance any longer.”

A 10:50 p.m. report that three males dressed in dark clothing were entering vehicles on Ocean Avenue resulted in the arrests of three juveniles on charges of breaking and entering in the nighttime to commit a felony and receiving stolen property over $250.


At 1:38 a.m., a man reported that he had seen a man and woman walking down Derby Street with an umbrella that he believed belonged to Victoria’s Station restaurant on Wharf Street. Police didn’t report finding anything suspicious.

Somebody turned a guinea pig in to police at the station at 5:44 a.m. The man told an officer he had found it in the paper recycling container at St. James Parish on Federal Street.

Police and the Fire Department responded to 116 Lafayette St. after an 8:38 a.m. report that a 1999 Chrysler Town and Country was on fire. Firefighters extinguished the blaze. “The van appeared to be a total loss as the engine and entire front end had damage,” wrote an officer. “The vehicle’s owners were on scene and related that power steering fluid was recently added and may have spilled.” There were no injuries.

Police received a 12:22 p.m. report that two $125 batteries had been stolen from a school bus parked at Boston and Bridge streets.



Police responded to a 2:25 a.m. report of a domestic dispute at 21 Purchase St. and subsequently arrested Joseph Cobb, 30, of the same address, on a charge of domestic assault and battery.

Police conducted a traffic stop at Elm and High streets at 1:14 p.m. and subsequently arrested Juan Cosme, 31, of 20 Glen St., Somerville, on a charge of unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and a crosswalk violation.



A woman and her son went to the station about 9 p.m., according to the log. An officer wrote: “Son was refusing to do his homework. Son also didn’t want to go to his therapist appointment tomorrow. After speaking with both parties, they were able to come to an agreement of going to the appointment and doing his homework.”

A 9:19 p.m. report that a group was drinking on a stoop brought police to a Cabot Street address. “Parties on private property but agreed to move into apartment,” an officer wrote later.


Police and the Fire Department responded to a 4:39 p.m. report that there was an odor of gas inside 51 Simon St. Police wrote later: “No odor of gas, house used home heating oil and some spilled on floor today during routine maintenance.”