SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Local News

March 28, 2013

Cigarette may have led to fire

BEVERLY — The Fire Department says a house fire on Blaine Avenue yesterday afternoon was likely caused by the improper disposal of a cigarette outside the building.

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters received a report of the blaze at 23 Blaine Ave. at 1:17 p.m. Capt. Kevin Smith said an occupant of the multifamily residence smelled smoke and went outside to find it coming from a section of vinyl siding on the first floor.

The man doused the area with water and thought the fire was out, but it had apparently renewed itself by the time Engine 5 showed up on the scene. Firefighters evacuated the building and worked to expose the area and discovered fire in the walls. A crew checking out the basement also found fire in the ceiling.

Firefighters were concerned that the blaze could extend up the building’s balloon-frame wooden construction and into the attic, but it didn’t. Smith said there was some smoke-staining in the walls on the second floor.

Crews knocked the blaze down in about 10 minutes.

Smith said he expected that the residents would be able to stay in the building despite extensive damage.

The fire is still under investigation, but Smith said it was “leaning toward the careless disposal of a cigarette.”

Firefighters found a can full of cigarette butts in the approximate area of the blaze, he said.

Crews from Danvers, Salem and Manchester-by-the-Sea provided station coverage during the incident.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

AP Video
Captain of Sunken SKorean Ferry Arrested Raw: Fire Destroys 3 N.J. Beachfront Homes Raw: Pope Presides Over Good Friday Mass Raw: Space X Launches to Space Station Superheroes Descend on Capitol Mall Man Charged in Kansas City Highway Shootings Obama Awards Navy Football Trophy Anti-semitic Leaflets Posted in Eastern Ukraine Raw: Magnitude-7.2 Earthquake Shakes Mexico City Ceremony at MIT Remembers One of Boston's Finest Raw: Students Hurt in Colo. School Bus Crash Raw: Church Tries for Record With Chalk Jesus Raw: Faithful Celebrate Good Friday Worldwide Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism Vermont Goat Meat Gives Refugees Taste of Home Calif. Investigators Re-construct Fatal Bus Cras Mayor Rob Ford Launches Re-election Campaign Appellate Court Hears Okla. Gay Marriage Case
Comments Tracker