, Salem, MA

August 2, 2013

Wallace charged in Boston shooting


---- — SALEM — Raymond Wallace has been formally charged in connection with the shooting of a Middlesex sheriff’s deputy, prosecutors announced yesterday.

Wallace, 36, who was living in a Salem condo on Courageous Court prior to his arrest, now faces charges of escape, illegal possession of a firearm, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and assault and battery on a public employee, the deputy sheriff who was shot in the leg during a struggle over his gun.

Wallace, in turn, was shot by the deputy’s partner, officials said. He is currently in critical condition at Massachusetts General Hospital but is expected to survive.

A spokesman for the Suffolk County district attorney’s office said yesterday that it is not clear when Wallace will be arraigned on the new charges. Prosecutors are awaiting clearance from medical personnel.

The shootings on Wednesday called into question what will happen in his Salem and Peabody cases. Wallace had been considering a guilty plea to charges stemming from two armed, masked holdups, one at the former Borders Books and Music in Peabody in December 2010 and another at the Salem PetSmart on St. Patrick’s Day 2011.

Judge David Lowy had offered a 13- to 25-year sentence. Prosecutors were seeking a far longer 20- to 30-year term for the crime spree, in which they say he donned a latex mask like the ones worn by characters in the Ben Affleck movie “The Town,” forced employees back into the store as they were about to close for the night and demanded money.

In both cases. police said Wallace burned the getaway cars they believe he used.

Weeks after his arrest, another collection of weapons and a mask was found hidden inside of speakers that had been cleaned out of the rented condo by two North Andover men.

Carrie Kimball Monahan, a spokeswoman for the Essex district attorney, said she was unaware of any discussion at this point about what will happen with the local cases.

Ray Buso, who has represented Wallace in those cases, did not return phone calls from The Salem News on Wednesday and yesterday.

Wallace is also awaiting trial on charges in New Hampshire. Buso told a judge earlier this year that Wallace was fearful of serving his sentence in Massachusetts and was trying to find a way to serve his time in New Hampshire.

The plea hearing has been delayed five times since last March, in part because of those efforts.

Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.