, Salem, MA

August 2, 2013


The Salem News

---- — Marblehead


An Oak Street woman reported at 10:18 a.m. that a stocky man in his 20s with an unmarked white truck had offered to put a “liquid coating” on her driveway. An officer stopped the man later and told him “about the bylaw.”

A Green Street Court woman reported at 12:14 p.m. that she had a “bad cough and cannot get up any phlegm.” The woman said her nurse had said she should get checked out, but she subsequently declined transport to a hospital.

A woman contacted police at 12:36 p.m. to report that she had found what she believed was a “human brain” on the beach near Atlantic Avenue. Police wrote later: “Appears to be bait from a lobster trap.”

Police were unable to locate a man who was “like 100 years old and 80 pounds” and was reported to be on the ground on Pleasant Street at 3:07 p.m.

A female at Market Square was transported to Salem Hospital after a 4:51 p.m. report that she was having an anxiety attack.

Around 5 p.m., an officer on Washington Street arrested Joseph T. Green, of an unknown age, of 42 Commercial St., Marblehead, on charges of shoplifting by concealing merchandise and resisting arrest.


An Ida Road woman reported at 6:59 a.m. that she had found tools in her yard.



Police received a 7:08 p.m. report that a 10-year-old Connecticut boy had gone missing while riding his bike near 86 Burrill St., but he was located shortly thereafter.

An 11:33 p.m. report that youths were drinking on the rocks behind Hawthorne by the Sea brought police to the Humphrey Street restaurant. “Officer spoke to youth, there was no alcohol, moved along, clear,” wrote police.


A 57-year-old woman was transported to Salem Hospital after a 2:55 a.m. report that she had fallen and cut her head.



Police were unable to locate people who were reported to be yelling on the beach near 70 Ober St. at 1:59 a.m.

Police were unable to locate four men who were reported to be fighting in the roadway at Hale and Dane streets at 3:37 a.m.

Police were unable to locate a person who was “going through trash” and “waking people” near 478 Rantoul St. at 4:25 a.m.



Police received a 6:35 p.m. report that a catalytic converter had been stolen from a vehicle at 199 Rosewood Drive.

An officer was unable to locate anything amiss in the area of Plains Park after an 8:14 p.m. report of possible gunshots.


A wallet had been stolen from a vehicle on Overlook Drive, according to a 7:10 a.m. report.

The Fire Department responded to a report about 8:30 p.m. that a 74-year-old woman had sustained an allergic reaction after she was bitten by a flying insect.



Police responded to a 4:06 p.m. report of a dispute at 145 Summit Ave. and determined it was a family argument over “monies and property.”

An injured seagull was transported from 9 Coolidge Ave. to the Borash Veterinary Clinic, according to a 4:41 p.m. log item.

Police received a 6:14 p.m. report that Lynn police were looking to talk to somebody at 8 Jefferson Road in regards to a vehicle having struck an off-duty officer in their city. A Peabody officer “spoke with his mother and she will advise him to go down to Lynn PD,” police wrote later.

A Brookbridge Road woman reported at 9:16 p.m. that her husband had “almost” thrown a phone at her and that she wanted him out of the house. Police wrote later: “Both parties will stay in different areas of the house for the night.”

Somebody reported at 11:27 p.m. that a possibly intoxicated female was “using a telephone pole to hold herself up” at Aborn and Holten streets, but an officer later determined she was fine.


A juvenile was transported to Salem Hospital after a 1:21 a.m. report that she had passed out in a driveway on Cottage Street.

An officer determined that nothing seemed amiss about a Worcester Road woman after an 11:03 p.m. request for a well-being check from her son, who reported that he hadn’t “been able to make contact with her for about a year.”

A Lynnfield Street man complained at 11:36 a.m. that his neighbor had “walked on his lawn.” Police wrote: “The officer spoke with the resident and he will refer the incident to the community policing officer.”

A sick squirrel was transported to the Borash Veterinary Clinic after an 11:46 a.m. report that it was in a backyard on Woodlawn Avenue.

Police responded to a 12:11 p.m. report that a man was using a metal detector and digging holes on the Leather City Common. “He will stop his actions for today,” an officer wrote later.

Two drivers — Kerri Mealey, 23, of Lynn, and Bethany Mendonca, 20, of Peabody — were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries after a 12:41 p.m. report of a two-car head-on crash at Milk and Sutton streets. Mealey had been operating a 1999 Ford Explorer and was transported to Union Hospital in Lynn; Mendonca had been operating a 2012 Mazda 3 and was transported to Salem Hospital. Both vehicles were towed.



A Read Street woman reported at 7:03 p.m. that she had heard a crash outside her apartment and looked out to discover that an SUV had struck the blue Honda Accord her boyfriend had bought the day before. “He was getting new plates for it tomorrow, but already had it insured,” wrote police. An officer was unable to locate the offending vehicle. The damage to the Accord included a cracked front bumper.

Police responded to the High Street Park after a 7:24 p.m. report that a suspicious man in a sombrero had possibly been taking pictures of children, but they were unable to locate him.

A 9:06 p.m. report of shoplifting at the Wal-Mart on Highland Avenue resulted in the arrest of Lillie Joyce Poe, 62, of 80 Sagamore St., Lynn, on a charge of shoplifting. She was also wanted on two warrants, according to the log.

A woman at 70 Washington St. reported at 9:55 p.m. that she was about to leave her office when she heard a man screaming. “Frightened to leave, she called the police for an escort from the building,” wrote police. An officer found the man and determined he had locked himself out of his office and had been “screaming in anger.” The officer advised him to “keep his anger in check” and escorted the woman out.


A Bridge Street woman reported at 9:55 a.m. that every morning she had been receiving a phone call from a female who yelled “[expletive] you” and “[expletive] you grandma.” Police wrote that the woman was advised “of the process to have their phone provider put a trace on the number.”

A woman reported at 10:32 a.m. that a customer who had gotten $171 worth of work done at her salon on North Street only had $37 on her and disappeared after saying she was going “to the ATM to get the rest.”

Police didn’t find anything amiss after a 1:39 p.m. report of “man dumping in pond” near Parallel Street.

A Loring Avenue woman reported at 1:49 p.m. that she had received a phone call from somebody purporting to be her grandson who said he had been jailed in Panama after an accident and needed $2,279 wired to him in order to get home. “The male party on the phone told her that he would call back in two hours and tell her where to wire the money,” wrote police. In the meantime, the woman called her grandson, who said he “was not involved in an accident in Panama and that he was mowing the lawn in Dunstable.” When the male called back, the woman told him that “if he was in fact who he said that he was, he would know the pet name that her grandson calls her” — after which “all she heard was the line disconnect.” An officer wrote: “She was advised that if she has any future calls like this to call the police for assistance. But it appeared to this officer that she had the matter well in hand.”

Police advised a man to leave the Wendy’s at 91 Lafayette St. after a 2:46 p.m. report that he was “being loud and disruptive while taking an extended amount of time to order his food.”

Police responded to a report that a woman with three children had seen a man masturbating near the bandstand at Salem Willows Park shortly after 3:30 p.m. and arrested Theodore Soteropoulos, 64, of 3 Dooling Circle, Peabody, on a charge of open and gross lewdness, said Lt. Mary Butler.