, Salem, MA

Local News

December 14, 2012




Two boys, ages 12 and 13, reported to police at 2:23 p.m. that they found $400 in cash on Forest Street as they walked home to a Castle Circle address from a park. Police took the money, and the rightful owner has a year to claim it, Lt. Arthur Yeo said. If unclaimed, the money will be returned to the boys.

Police received a 3:54 p.m. report from a Sprague Street woman who said a man called her phone “threatening to kill her” and provided her exact location, “stating he knew where she was.” The calls came from an unknown number.


Police received a 9:03 a.m. report that a Felton Terrace woman believed that someone was opening her barn at night.



Police and the Fire Department responded to 160 Essex St. after a 4:20 p.m. report of heavy smoke and determined that it was coming from a nearby loading dock area, but there was no fire.

An employee at Maria’s Sweet Somethings at 26 Front St. reported at 4:22 p.m. that a man with dirty blond hair, about 6 feet tall, came into the store and “stood right in front of the door and just looked around.” When staff asked if they could help him, he declined, saying he was “new to the area and didn’t get out much.” Then he left the store. An officer was unable to locate him.

Officers at 29 New Derby St. at 5:13 p.m. arrested Julio Vittini, of 5 Trinity St., Lynn, on charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest and John Henry Smith, 43, of 40 Stone St., Beverly, on charges of disorderly conduct and trespassing.


A Barstow Street man reported at 10:11 a.m. that he had received a phone call informing him that he had won a $2.5 million lottery prize, “as well as a new car.” When the caller began asking personal questions, the man became suspicious and hung up. Police received a similar report at 12:03 p.m. from a Carol Way man who said that he received an initial call on Tuesday telling him of a $2.5 million prize, then a subsequent call telling him that to claim the prize he needed to purchase a $350 bank card to cover “shipping and handling.” The man “felt there was something wrong at this point and called the police instead of sending the money,” an officer wrote.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

AP Video
Raw: Families Travel to Taiwan Plane Crash Site Arizona Execution Takes Almost Two Hours Gen. Odierno Discusses Ukraine, NATO at Forum Gaza Fighting Rages Amid Cease-Fire Efforts Mint Gives JFK Coin a Face-lift Creative Makeovers for Ugly Cellphone Towers Ariz. Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began Crash Kills Teen Pilot Seeking World Record LeBron James Sends Apology Treat to Neighbors Raw: Funeral for Man Who Died in NYPD Custody Migrants Back in Honduras After US Deports Israeli American Reservist Torn Over Return Raw: ISS Cargo Ship Launches in Kazakhstan Six Indicted in StubHub Hacking Scheme Former NTSB Official: FAA Ban 'prudent' EPA Gets Hip With Kardashian Tweet Bodies of MH17 Victims Arrive in the Netherlands Biden Decries Voting Restrictions in NAACP Talk Broncos Owner Steps Down Due to Alzheimer's US, UN Push Shuttle Diplomacy in Mideast
Comments Tracker