, Salem, MA

October 18, 2013


The Salem News

---- — Marblehead


A Harbor Avenue woman reported at 8:39 a.m. that her house had been egged. “She noticed the eggs on Monday night when they got home after being away for the weekend,” wrote police. “She did not want to see an officer but wondered if there had been any other complaints.”

A male was transported to Salem Hospital after an 8:56 a.m. report that he was “falling down” inside the 7-Eleven on Pleasant Street.

Police received a 9:38 a.m. report that a Susan Road woman had gotten a phone call from a “foreign-sounding person” who asked her about her “Windows computer.” Police wrote: “She said she did not have a computer and the call was disconnected.”

The animal control officer reported at 10:12 p.m. that she had seen a barefoot woman holding a baby in front of a car on Roundhouse Road with a man slouched down inside, and that the “whole scene seemed odd.” An officer was unable to locate anything suspicious in the area.



Police received a 2:39 p.m. report that a 2-year-old had gone missing from a Litchfield Road address. Shortly thereafter, the child was located hiding in the house.

A woman reported at 5:20 p.m. that she was upset because her neighbor on Plymouth Road had “just sprayed her daughter and dog with a hose.” Police subsequently determined that an automatic sprinkler had “turned on and squirted the neighbor by accident.”

A 7:30 p.m. report of fire and heavy smoke in an apartment brought police and the Fire Department to 146 Shore Drive. “The resident was performing an automatic cleaner of the oven and left some food in the oven,” an officer wrote later.

A 10:34 p.m. report of a head-on collision brought police to Andover Street and Buttonwood Lane. A 22-year-old Lynn woman was transported to Salem Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The two vehicles were towed.


A detail officer at 36 Surrey Lane reported at 9:14 a.m. that a construction crew had broken a gas line. “National Grid will be turning off gas in the area,” wrote police.



A Franklin Avenue woman reported at 10:12 a.m. that she believed her house had been broken into on Monday and a jewelry box stolen.

Police received a 1 p.m. report that a tractor-trailer had taken down a stop sign at Pine and Superior streets, then fled the scene.



Police received a 6:27 p.m. report that a male was sleeping in the backyard at 17 Dane St. An officer wrote later: “Male party dispersed.”


A 7:25 a.m. report of a possibly drunk female on the beach brought police to the area near Water Street. An officer wrote later: “Checked around beach, including area around jetty. Also checked surrounding neighborhood, boat yard, and beaches. Unable to locate female in question.”

Police conducted a traffic stop at Elliott Street and McPherson Drive at 11:14 a.m. and arrested Christopher Nagle, 19, of 180 Eutaw Ave., Lynn, on a charge of operating with a suspended license, subsequent offense.

Police responded to 240 Cabot St. after a 2:22 p.m. report that a man had been loitering in a bank. Police wrote: “Bank employees were concerned after observing a man loitering in the bank for no apparent reason. He stated he was waiting for his brother who was using the ATM. Video surveillance reveals no other male at the ATM. It [appeared] to the bank employees that the man walked around the bank and was looking up at all the surveillance personnel have been advised to contact the BPD if he should return.”

Police received a 2:42 p.m. report that a man had left Beverly Hospital’s emergency room with an IV still in his arm.



Police received a 2:49 a.m. report that somebody had walked out on a $8.87 tab at the Denny’s on Endicott Street.



An officer responded to Fatima’s Psychic Studio at 6 Hawthorne Blvd. at 6:25 p.m. to check whether the business was open despite not having a business license. “The open sign was on as were all the lights on the first floor,” wrote police. “The side door was unlocked, from the outside it appeared that he was open for business.” A man inside said he wasn’t conducting any business and had been informed he could leave all the lights on, but agreed to turn them off.

A Dow Street woman reported at 7:39 p.m. that somebody had broken into her apartment and stolen a 32-inch television, $300 in cash and three of her husband’s baseball hats.

A 10:25 p.m. report that a man was vomiting inside his vehicle brought police to 143 North St., where they determined he was “just upset” over a “prior incident.”


A 7:15 a.m. report that a child had been heard screaming brought police to 20 Hawthorne Blvd. An officer wrote later: “After speaking with the boy’s mother, she said he did not want to go to school. He was already on his way to school when we arrived.”

A First Street woman reported at 9:57 a.m. that three rings had gone missing from her apartment at some point in the past 10 days. “She did state that on occasion she will leave her door unlocked for short periods of time while she steps outside,” wrote police. The rings included a gold-and-diamond ring with sapphires worth $17,300, a gold band and a $1,500 gold-and-sapphire band, according to the log.



A motorcyclist was MedFlighted to a Boston-area hospital following an accident on Endicott Road west of Route 95 about 7:40 p.m. The man initially refused medical treatment, but later lost consciousness at the scene while he and an officer waited for a tow, an officer said. The helicopter landed at Masconomet Regional High School shortly after 8:45 p.m.