BY JULIE MANGANIS
---- — SALEM — A Salem man who was shot by deputy sheriffs in July, after he allegedly tried to escape from a Boston hospital, is still hospitalized, his attorney said yesterday.
It remains to be seen whether Raymond Wallace will be considered competent to appear in court anytime soon. He is charged with two armed robberies, as well as charges stemming from the July 31 shooting inside the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.
Wallace, 36, was in custody in July, considering a plea deal offer of 13 to 25 years in state prison for armed and masked holdups at the former Borders Books and Music in Peabody in December 2010 and the Salem PetSmart in March 2011. He also faced a string of firearms charges after police found weapons hidden in his Salem condo and later in a pair of speakers taken from the condo.
At the time of his arrest, shortly after the Salem holdup, Wallace was on probation in a Waltham weapons and armed burglary case.
He was held in Middleton Jail awaiting trial in the case but was later transferred to Middlesex County after a dispute with another inmate.
Then, while being treated at Mass Eye and Ear for an eye injury, Wallace asked to use a bathroom, where he slipped out of handcuffs and then attempted to make an escape, according to police. During a struggle, he grabbed a sheriff deputy’s gun. The deputy was shot in the leg, and then, Wallace was shot in the chest, police said.
Defense lawyer Ray Buso said yesterday during a status hearing in the North Shore cases that Wallace had been moved out of Massachusetts General Hospital about 10 days ago but was returned there two days later.
Wallace’s mother and his attorney in the Boston case told Buso that Wallace is currently heavily medicated and incoherent.
Salem Superior Court Judge John Lu said he wants to have a hearing soon to determine Wallace’s ability to either stand trial in the Salem and Peabody cases or plead guilty, if that is still an option.
That hearing was set for Nov. 25; a probation violation hearing was then set for Dec. 17, and a tentative trial date was scheduled for March.
Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.