, Salem, MA

November 6, 2013


The Salem News

---- — Marblehead


Somebody on Lafayette Street was transported to a hospital after a 9:22 a.m. report that he or she was vomiting “coffee-ground-type material.”

A woman on State Street was transported to Salem Hospital after an 8:38 p.m. report that she had a piece of steak stuck in her throat.


Police responded to a Green Street residence after a 10:42 a.m. report that a child was refusing to go to school. “Remind[ed] student that he will end up in court if he refused to go today,” wrote police. “Explained all to student and grandparents ... party will go to school, grandmother taking him.”

A Nanepashemet Street woman reported at 1:51 p.m. that she could hear “popping” sounds. An officer determined they were coming from a pneumatic nail gun at a construction site on Risley Road.



Somebody on Loris Road reported at 4:19 p.m. that a heavyset black man wearing a baseball hat that said “police” on it was trying to sell “police raffle tickets” in the area. An officer subsequently “spoke to a black male with a baseball cap that said police on it and sent him on his way,” police wrote.

A Kosciusko Street man reported at 4:32 p.m. that a refrigerator had been stolen from his yard.

A 5:16 p.m. report of shoplifting at Sears at Northshore Mall resulted in the arrest of Matthew S. Wolpe, 29, of 1121 Horse Shoe Lane, Wilmington, on a charge of shoplifting by asportation.

A man at 3 Highland Terrace reported at 5:18 p.m. that he heard a fire alarm sounding downstairs but was “unable to check because he is on house arrest.” Police advised the man to wait outside. Police and the Fire Department subsequently determined a tenant on the building’s first floor had been cleaning a stove. “No smoke, no fire,” police wrote.

Police received a 5:34 p.m. report of an attempted break-in at 286 Newbury St. “A chair was wedged under the door handle which prevented the entry,” wrote police.

A Johnson Avenue man reported at 8:10 p.m. that there was a dead animal in his yard. Police wrote: “He was advised to dispose of the animal by either burying it, placing the body in the woods, or putting it with the rubbish.”


A 9:36 a.m. report that a female was screaming brought police to 78 Wallis St., where they spoke with a man who said he was “home alone and was playing with his dog.”

An 11:16 a.m. report of a domestic dispute between a father and daughter at 165 Lynnfield St. resulted in the arrest of David C. Keller, 48, of the same address, on a charge of domestic assault and battery.

Police received an 11:33 a.m. report that a “confused female” was pushing a shopping carriage full of cans near 112 Lowell St. Police wrote later: “Officer checked on the person, unable to get a name due to language barrier. Officer believes the woman was upset that her cans fell out of her carriage.”

An officer responded to Pierpont Park after an 11:40 a.m. report that a child was playing with a BB gun and located an 8-year-old boy doing so. The officer walked him back to his parents’ residence on Sewall Street. The gun was confiscated.

Police were unable to locate three teenagers who were reported to be “shooting oncoming traffic with Nerf guns” on Fairview Avenue at 12:12 p.m.



Police responded to 17 Gooseneck Lane after a 12:33 a.m. report that a woman hadn’t been able to get in touch with her 83-year-old mother. Emergency personnel determined she had died.



Police received a 6:45 p.m. report that a boy and girl at a Story Avenue address were “not obeying house rules.” Police wrote: “Kids and mother spoken to. Mother is deaf and has hard time communicating with children. Peace restored.”


Police were unable to locate the group of people who were reported to be egging cars at Dodge Street and Access Road at 12:50 a.m.

A 1:44 p.m. report of a disturbance in a condo brought police to 28 Columbus Ave. An officer wrote: “Female reports crying hysterically due to death of her dog. Nothing physical took place. She reports being extremely upset about the passing of her chihuahua. Dog passed away a couple days ago.”

Officers responded to Cabot and School streets after a 3:07 p.m. report that a man was talking to himself. “Party refused to give any information,” an officer wrote later. “Sent on his way.”



Police received a 4:55 p.m. report that a Nikon camera on a tripod had been found at Forest River Park. “The owner ... realized that he left his camera at the park and called police,” wrote an officer. “He stated that the camera is valued at approximately $1,000. He also stated that he was inside the Pioneer Village at Forest River Park, filming an episode for the Travel Channel.”

A Forest Avenue man reported at 7 p.m. that a male and female had taken two full and one empty 5-gallon water jugs off his rear porch. “When he confronted them, they claimed that they knew the homeowner and had permission to take them,” wrote police. Then they put the bottles on the ground and walked toward Lafayette Street. An officer was unable to locate them.

An Arbella Street woman reported at 7:12 p.m. that two packages that were shipped to her in July — one containing a $15 pair of wooden earrings and the other a $10 pair of “craft underwear” — had apparently been stolen. She said a package containing a $60 beige sweater had also been stolen from her in October.

Police conducted a traffic stop at North and Lynde streets at 8:02 p.m. and subsequently arrested Jennifer McHeffey, 38, of 17 Orchard St., Salem, on charges of operating a vehicle with a suspended license, giving a false name to a police officer and a red light violation.

Police were unable to locate the people who were reported to be attempting to loosen the lug nuts on a vehicle’s tire at 12 First St. at 9:10 p.m.


Chief Paul Tucker observed suspicious activity while in the parking lot of Crosby’s on Canal Street about 2 p.m., according to the log. A traffic stop was subsequently conducted and Sean Bruce Bell, 34, of 115 Collins St., Lynn, was arrested on a charge of shoplifting by concealing merchandise. Bell was also wanted on four warrants, according to the log.



Police conducted a traffic stop on Endicott Street about 1:50 a.m. and subsequently arrested Luisa Lopez, 40, of 33 Hood St., Lynn, on a charge of operating a vehicle without a license and a miscellaneous motor vehicle equipment violation.


An officer stopped a vehicle on Sylvan Street about 8:45 a.m. and subsequently arrested Steven Talkowsky, 57, of 7 Fairmount Road, Peabody, on a charge of operating a vehicle with a suspended license.

Police were unable to locate a fox that was reported to be in the playground at the Highlands school on Hobart Street at 12 p.m.

A 4:55 p.m. report of an accident brought police to Elliott and Liberty streets. Subsequently arrested was Thomas Irvine, 54, of 11211 Kirkbride Drive, Danvers, on a charge of drunken driving, second offense.