, Salem, MA

July 16, 2013

Salem police probe numerous weekend thefts

By Neil H. Dempsey
Staff Writer

---- — SALEM — Police say all kinds of items were reported stolen on Sunday, with thieves targeting everything from a Subway flag to tree-cutting equipment.

Reports of thefts began at 10:28 a.m., when a man at 11 Oakland St. told police that someone had cut an “entrance hole” into the soft-top of his 1991 BMW overnight and made off with a Garmin GPS valued at $75, according to the incident log.

Next, at 12:13 p.m., police responded to 459 Highland Ave., where the owner of Dakoda Tree reported that somebody had cut a hole in the chain-link fence surrounding his business and stolen saws and tree-cutting equipment from at least two trucks.

Twelve minutes later, a man at 114 Boston St. reported that somebody had stolen his commercial license plate.

At 8:08 p.m., officers were dispatched to Subway at 125 Canal St., where a night-shift employee said somebody had apparently stolen the store’s flag. The employee said that he found the flag’s pole outside of 18 Laurel St. and that he had seen the flag itself on the floor beyond the door. Officers retrieved both items and returned them to the eatery.

At 9:30 p.m., police received a report that a blue moped had been stolen from outside 113 Boston St. A male there told an officer that he believed it was stolen around 8 a.m., when his father heard it start up but thought he was driving it.

Police responded to 12 Pope St. after a 9:47 p.m. report that a man had discovered several items were missing from his apartment when he returned home from work — and that a friend he had been letting stay there had also disappeared.

There was at least one positive story involving stolen property on Sunday. An officer on Salem Street about 5:15 p.m. noticed a yellow Earth Cruiser bike and remembered having taken a report that a similar bike had been stolen the previous Friday.

The officer determined it was the same bike and transported it back to the station, where its owner picked it up a couple of hours later.