SWAMPSCOTT — One firefighter was injured in a three-alarm fire at 50 Andrew Road in Swampscott this morning, which also claimed the life of a dog inside, according to Swampscott fire Deputy Chief Jim Potts.
No one was home at the time of the fire.
Crews from Salem, Revere, Nahant, Beverly, Marblehead, Lynn and Swampscott spent more than two hours attacking the stubborn fire, which was reported at 9:15 a.m.
Potts had to order crews out of the house at least twice, once due to a frozen hydrant on the corner.
One firefighter suffered a hand injury and was transported to the hospital.
Potts said there was a cat that was unaccounted for, but rabbits in the house were saved.
At one point the flames were shooting through the roof near the chimney of the house. Firefighters got the blaze under control at about 11:45 a.m.
Andrew Road was shut down at both ends and some surrounding side streets were closed off, but the fire did not affect traffic on Paradise Road.
For the full story, see tomorrow's Salem News.