BEVERLY — A former Beverly man has been charged with multiple counts of indecent assault and battery on a young relative, incidents the now-teenage girl recently disclosed.
Julio Cesar Valdez, 36, who was described in court papers as homeless, was charged by police in Salem, Beverly and Peabody with the incidents, which occurred while he was living with the girl and the rest of her family in each of those communities, starting when she was 5.
Prosecutor Lars Trautman said that when the girl’s mother confronted Valdez, he told her he had touched her inappropriately only once, “and I was drunk and messed up.”
But Trautman cited police reports of other incidents. The girl told police that when she was a child living in Beverly, Valdez had climbed into bed with her. When she was in the sixth or seventh grade, she told investigators, Valdez went into her room and touched her breasts.
Defense attorney Mark Barry said Valdez denies the allegations, which date back a decade, and is “in shock” over the allegations. Barry argued against bail for Valdez, noting that he has complied with a restraining order issued last month after the allegations surfaced.
Judge Robert Brennan set bail at $5,000 and said that before he can be released, Valdez will have to be fitted with a GPS device. He also ordered that in addition to having no contact with the girl, he cannot have any unsupervised contact with children under 16.
A pretrial hearing is scheduled for May 27.
Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at email@example.com or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.