SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Local News

December 7, 2012

Fire sends motel guests fleeing

Chief: Blaze at Beverly Garden Suites likely caused by plumbers

(Continued)

“They were wonderful,” she said.

Cotter said fire crews had to “chase” the fire because it was hidden in the walls. Firefighters pulled off the ceiling and walls in the two suites directly affected and climbed on the roof to cut ventilation holes with a hatchet.

“We managed to keep it contained,” Cotter said. “They did a good job.”

Officials called three alarms, bringing in dozens of firefighters from Salem, Peabody, Danvers, Wenham, Swampscott, Topsfield and Manchester-by-the-Sea. Cotter said the extra manpower was required to help pull off ceilings and walls and search the entire building for any more signs of fire.

Beverly Garden Suites is a 23-room motel at 5 Lakeview Ave., at the corner of Route 1A in North Beverly near Wenham Lake. Office manager Nancy Victorine said there were 19 registered guests, but only four were in the building at the time of the fire, which broke out around 1:15 p.m.

Victorine said some of the rooms were under 2 feet of water from the fire hoses. Cotter said nobody would be able to stay at the motel last night.

The fire was the second of the day on Route 1A. A little over an hour earlier, crews responded to a fire one mile down the road at 15 Dodge St., near the North Beverly fire station.

Fire Capt. Jeff Sirois said that fire was probably caused when a wooden beam next to a fireplace heated up. Firefighters were able to quickly contain the fire due to early detection by the residents, he said.

“It was fortunate they were home,” Sirois said.

Dustin Landry said he was asleep when his father, Dennis, woke him up. They were the only two home at the time.

“He knocked on the door and said, ‘We need to get out of here,’” Dustin Landry said.

Landry said the woodwork above the fireplace was bubbling and smoke was coming out of the baseboards and walls. He was worried there would be damage to Christmas presents he had bought for his 6-year-old daughter.

Staff writer Paul Leighton can be reached at 978-338-2675 or pleighton@salemnews.com.

 

 

 

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

AP Video
Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kerry: No Deal Yet on 7-Day Gaza Truce Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow Gaza Residents Mourn Dead Amid Airstrikes Raw: Deadly Tornado Hits Virginia Campground Ohio State Marching Band Chief Fired After Probe Raw: Big Rig Stuck in Illinois Swamp Cumberbatch Brings 'Penguins' to Comic-Con Raw: Air Algerie Crash Site in Mali Power to Be Restored After Wash. Wildfire Crashed Air Algerie Plane Found in Mali Israel Mulls Ceasefire Amid Gaza Offensive In Case of Fire, Oxygen Masks for Pets Mobile App Gives Tour of Battle of Atlanta Sites
Comments Tracker