, Salem, MA

December 18, 2012

Gloucester resident facing driving charges

By James Niedzinski
Staff Writer

---- — GLOUCESTER — As police continue to investigate the Essex Avenue crash that killed Mary Lipman on Saturday night, the 52-year-old Ipswich woman’s mother remembered her as a source of positivity whose life was “full of joy.”

“I’m heartbroken,” said Mary Barry, of New Vernon, N.J. “She was just a wonderful daughter and sister and a happy, lovely, giving person who will be sorely missed in our family.”

Lipman grew up in New Vernon, attended New England College and worked recently as the head of customer service at the Schylling toy company in Rowley, Barry said. In addition to her mother, Lipman leaves behind her son Ben, 22, daughter Ali, 23, a grandson and eight siblings.

“She didn’t have a negative bone in her body,” Barry said.

Police Chief Leonard Campanello said as of yesterday, there were no new charges against Rebecca Jacques, the 52-year-old Gloucester resident involved in the accident which killed Lipman, although the investigation is ongoing.

Jacques is currently charged with a marked lanes violation and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

Gloucester police logs confirm warrants were issued to get blood samples and medical records for Jacques. The driver of the vehicle Lipman was in, off-duty state trooper Lt. James Cowhig, volunteered to have his blood samples taken, which tested negative for drugs or alcohol.

Carrie Kimball Monahan, spokeswoman for Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett, said the District Attorney’s office has not received any official accident report yet.

When car accidents result in a fatality, the state police must conduct their own report, which could take some time, she said.

Tom Sholds, assistant district attorney, said Jacques was driving her pick-up truck on Essex Avenue and struck a 2008 Subaru station wagon, driven by Cowhig on the passenger side.

Jacques was transported to Addison Gilbert Hospital and may have suffered broken ribs as a result of the accident, Kimball Monahan said.

She was arraigned in the hospital yesterday at 4 p.m.

Her bail was set at $25,000 and she was also issued a bail warning. If she does not comply with bail conditions or does not appear in court, she can be held up to 60 days without bail.

In addition, she is restricted from operating a motor vehicle while court proceedings continue and would be placed under house arrest if she is released on bail.

She is being represented by Thomas O’Shea of the Concord-based Megan and O’Shea LLC.

A pretrial conference date is set for Jan. 7.

Staff writer Neil H. Dempsey contributed to this report.