, Salem, MA

Local News

July 10, 2013

Faulty generator cause of smoke behind BJ's

DANVERS — The black smoke belching from the back of BJ’s Wholesale Club on Hutchinson Drive yesterday morning was not due to a fire but to a large, portable generator that had malfunctioned.

The generator was meant to feed power to the warehouse store while Danvers Electric crews worked to connect the store to a new transformer, according to Hamid Jaffari, director of operations at Danvers Electric.

“In the process, we had to shut them down, so they had to be on a generator,” Jaffari said.

Jaffari said that Danvers Electric asked BJ’s officials to shut down the smoking generator and bring another one on site. The generator was the size of a cargo container.

“BJ’s used a rented generator during the planned outage. The generator failed and had to be turned off,” said Nicholas Shields, a spokesman for BJ’s. “As of 2:49 p.m., the transformer installation was completed, and the club is now back on utility power.”

The Danvers Fire Department was called to the store, as the smoke could be seen from Route 128 and surrounding areas.

Staff writer Ethan Forman can be reached at 978-338-2673, by email at or on Twitter at @DanverSalemNews.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

AP Video
Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kerry: No Deal Yet on 7-Day Gaza Truce Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow Gaza Residents Mourn Dead Amid Airstrikes Raw: Deadly Tornado Hits Virginia Campground Ohio State Marching Band Chief Fired After Probe Raw: Big Rig Stuck in Illinois Swamp Cumberbatch Brings 'Penguins' to Comic-Con Raw: Air Algerie Crash Site in Mali Power to Be Restored After Wash. Wildfire Crashed Air Algerie Plane Found in Mali Israel Mulls Ceasefire Amid Gaza Offensive In Case of Fire, Oxygen Masks for Pets Mobile App Gives Tour of Battle of Atlanta Sites
Comments Tracker