SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

July 10, 2013

Faulty generator cause of smoke behind BJ's

BY ETHAN FORMAN
STAFF WRITER

---- — DANVERS — The black smoke belching from the back of BJ’s Wholesale Club on Hutchinson Drive yesterday morning was not due to a fire but to a large, portable generator that had malfunctioned.

The generator was meant to feed power to the warehouse store while Danvers Electric crews worked to connect the store to a new transformer, according to Hamid Jaffari, director of operations at Danvers Electric.

“In the process, we had to shut them down, so they had to be on a generator,” Jaffari said.

Jaffari said that Danvers Electric asked BJ’s officials to shut down the smoking generator and bring another one on site. The generator was the size of a cargo container.

“BJ’s used a rented generator during the planned outage. The generator failed and had to be turned off,” said Nicholas Shields, a spokesman for BJ’s. “As of 2:49 p.m., the transformer installation was completed, and the club is now back on utility power.”

The Danvers Fire Department was called to the store, as the smoke could be seen from Route 128 and surrounding areas.

Staff writer Ethan Forman can be reached at 978-338-2673, by email at eforman@salemnews.com or on Twitter at @DanverSalemNews.