DANVERS — Parishioners of Calvary Episcopal Church in Danvers and St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in downtown Peabody began worshipping as one last weekend under a new church name: All Saints Episcopal Church of the North Shore.
Representatives of both parishes selected the name to represent the coming together of the two churches. All Saints is presently being housed in the large church building that was formerly Calvary Episcopal at 46 Cherry St.
Plans for the official merger of the churches are ongoing.
The name of the blended church resulted from a naming contest that attracted submissions from as far away as New Hampshire, Maine and Virginia. Nearly 80 names, plus some variations, were submitted. From those, both parishes selected six names as finalists, and All Saints was chosen as the winner.
Last Sunday, close to 130 people from both parishes attended the first blended worship service, said the church’s spokeswoman, Fran Weil.
All Saints will serve Danvers and Peabody and surrounding North Shore communities and continue various outreach ministries, including Haven From Hunger; the Welcome Table; the Lifebridge food pantry; the Elder Ministry; the Perfect Paws Pet Ministry; the Brazilian Ministry; the annual Christmas party for foster children; the Prayer Shawl; the Knitting and Quilting ministries; the Book Club; the Senior Lunch; the Garden Ministry; the Let’s Talk speakers series on ethics, spirituality and conscience; and the Giving Tree, which provides Christmas gifts to homeless children.
The parish office can be reached at 978-774-1150, and the website is www.allsaintsepiscopalnorthshore.org.
Staff writer Ethan Forman can be reached at 978-338-2673, by email at email@example.com or on Twitter at @DanverSalemNews.