SALEM — A convicted killer, described by the Parole Board as a "pathological liar" certain to hurt someone else if released, was yesterday turned down for parole for the second time.
Thomas Maimoni, 61, "has repeatedly lied to the Parole Board in his two parole hearings. ... He is not rehabilitated and, if released, would likely re-offend by committing sexually aggressive and violent acts against women," the board wrote in a unanimous decision.
The decision was signed by Chairman Josh Wall.
Maimoni was convicted of second-degree murder in the death of Salem artist Martha Brailsford, 37, in 1991.
Her badly beaten and naked body, which had been weighted down with diving weights, was found by a lobsterman in Salem Harbor, days after she disappeared after accepting an invitation to go for a sail with Maimoni.
To this day, no one knows exactly what happened to Brailsford — but she was one of a string of women whom the married Maimoni had made sexual advances toward. Maimoni has offered a series of explanations of what happened, from initially denying that he had been with Brailsford to claiming a "rogue wave" caused her to strike her head on a mast.
"Because Maimoni has never revealed why he killed Martha Brailsford, Maimoni's history of odd or aggressive behavior is especially probative of his motive and actions with Ms. Brailsford on July 12," the board wrote, noting that Maimoni had invited at least two other women onto his boat in the days before Brailsford disappeared, and that he had made sexual remarks to one and indecently assaulted the other.
And the board noted that even during jury selection, the proceedings were delayed when the court stenographer and two members of the jury pool all said Maimoni had approached them.
The board noted that Maimoni lied to Parole Board members at his October hearing when he insisted he never filed a lawsuit when in fact, he filed lawsuits against witnesses, the prosecutor (to whom he also mailed a bloody pillowcase), and the author of a book on the case. Maimoni also claimed that the two other women who had been on his sailboat never testified, when the record showed they had.
Maimoni himself acknowledged during the hearing in October that "I have lived a life of lies, deception and dishonesty. I did a poor job today."
But while he claimed, "I have been interested in finding the source of all this. I don't know where it came from because I grew up in a healthy household," Maimoni has "taken no steps toward rehabilitation," the board noted.
"Board members concluded that Maimoni is very dangerous," the decision says. "If released, he would almost certainly re-offend, and the victim would be female."
The board also ordered that Maimoni cannot apply again for parole for five years.
Courts reporter Julie Manganis may be reached at 978-338-2521 or at email@example.com.