SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

June 17, 2013

UPDATE: Beverly woman admits kidnapping story was a hoax

Paul Leighton
STAFF WRITER

---- — BEVERLY — A woman who claimed she was kidnapped by two masked men admitted to police today that she made up the story to avoid being arrested for drunken driving.

The 24-year-old woman, who lives in Beverly, was found by two passersby in the trunk of her hatchback car on Route 128 north in Wenham at about 3:30 this morning. The passersby broke the back window to get the woman out.

The woman told police she had been abducted by two masked men who broke into her apartment and ordered her to get in her car and drive.

In a later interview with detectives, the woman admitted that she made the story up, police Chief Mark Ray said. She told detectives that she was intoxicated and was worried she would be arrested for drunken driving.

Ray said it's not clear if the woman had been in an accident or had simply driven off the road onto a grassy area along the highway.

Ray said the woman will probably be charged with filing a false police report.

Staff writer Paul Leighton can be reached at 978-338-2675 or pleighton@salemnews.com.