SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

January 18, 2014

Man gets jail in porn, statutory rape case

BY JULIE MANGANIS
STAFF WRITER

---- — DANVERS — A former Danvers man will spend two years in jail after admitting earlier this week to child rape and child pornography charges.

Erik Resto, 24, confessed to having images of children between the ages of 7 and 12 on his computer, prosecutor John Brennan told a judge.

Then, during the course of their investigation, police noticed videos of Resto with a teenage girl, engaging in sexual activity. The girl, 15, was later identified as Resto’s underage girlfriend, who was staying in his home.

The age of consent in Massachusetts is 16.

Defense lawyer Jeff Sweeney said during a hearing earlier this month that Resto suffers from depression and was the victim of both physical and sexual abuse as a child.

Hearing that, Judge Howard Whitehead said he considered the “cycle of abuse” that Resto was part of to be a mitigating factor, and imposed a two-year jail term rather than the three to five years sought by Brennan.

The sentence was imposed on Tuesday.

After his release, Resto will be on probation for five years, with conditions that include a sex offender evaluation and treatment, a requirement to wear a GPS bracelet and that he register as a sex offender.

Courts reporter Julie Manganis can be reached at 978-338-2521, via email at jmanganis@salemnews.com or on Twitter @SNJulieManganis.