SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Local News

January 22, 2014

Family displaced after couch ignites

DANVERS — A fire that broke out on Princeton Street yesterday afternoon has displaced a family of four and two dogs, Danvers fire Chief Kevin Farrell said.

Although the parents, their two children and two dogs did not sustain any injuries, two cats and two lizards died. The father was away on business, according to officials.

Farrell said the fire, which was reported at 3:37 p.m., started in the den area of the single-story ranch-style home at 14 Princeton St., near the couch and TV.

“The fire appears to be accidental at this point,” Farrell said. “The owner stated she came home and found a lamp that had been knocked over on the couch.”

Farrell added that after examining the burn pattern and after the Fire Investigation Unit looked through the debris and damage, it appeared as though a lamp was knocked over by one of the dogs or cats in the home and ignited the material on the couch.

Although the fire was contained in the room of origin, the entire residence sustained smoke and heat damage, displacing the family for an extended period of time, Farrell said.

Farrell added that the house had about $200,000 worth of damage. Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the fire with new suppression tactics, he said.

Terri Ogan can be reached at 978-338-2660, via email at togan@salemnews.com or on Twitter @terriogan.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News

AP Video
Couple Channel Grief Into Soldiers' Retreat WWI Aviation Still Alive at Aerodrome in NY Raw: Rescuers at Taiwan Explosion Scene Raw: Woman Who Faced Death Over Faith in N.H. Clinton Before 9-11: Could Have Killed Bin Laden Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN
Comments Tracker