SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

January 22, 2014

Family displaced after couch ignites

By Terri Ogan
Staff Writer

---- — DANVERS — A fire that broke out on Princeton Street yesterday afternoon has displaced a family of four and two dogs, Danvers fire Chief Kevin Farrell said.

Although the parents, their two children and two dogs did not sustain any injuries, two cats and two lizards died. The father was away on business, according to officials.

Farrell said the fire, which was reported at 3:37 p.m., started in the den area of the single-story ranch-style home at 14 Princeton St., near the couch and TV.

“The fire appears to be accidental at this point,” Farrell said. “The owner stated she came home and found a lamp that had been knocked over on the couch.”

Farrell added that after examining the burn pattern and after the Fire Investigation Unit looked through the debris and damage, it appeared as though a lamp was knocked over by one of the dogs or cats in the home and ignited the material on the couch.

Although the fire was contained in the room of origin, the entire residence sustained smoke and heat damage, displacing the family for an extended period of time, Farrell said.

Farrell added that the house had about $200,000 worth of damage. Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the fire with new suppression tactics, he said.

Terri Ogan can be reached at 978-338-2660, via email at togan@salemnews.com or on Twitter @terriogan.